Changing 3.9V8 valve stem seals.

duncmc

I have no definite proof but I think it has had previous work before. And everything I have been removing has been genuine parts by the looks of things. After that though it didn't get looked after much I don't think in the way of oil changes before it was scrapped. The heads and valley was very gunked up.

It is an interesting engine. The engine number is a 36D suffix A. And it was in a Classic first registered on 21/12/1993.

According to Des Hammils book the later block didn't arrive until January 1994, but this engine is the interim block casting. He also says that the first interim castings had 10 bolts heads, yet his has 14 bolt heads. And it doesn't have the interim camshaft thrust plate system or the crank driven oil pump. So it seems it was an interim, interim. And must be one of the first interim blocks.

Does it have the full-width main bearings and the lugs for the cross-bolts?

I've had a few of the interim engines apart, some have holes for 14 bolt heads and some just for 10.

It wouldn't surprise me if they just sapped the castings over for the blocks but didn't fully machine the block for the later front cover.

Does it have the full-width main bearings and the lugs for the cross-bolts?

Yes, it has the lugs for the cross bolts on the castings, but it still has the smaller main bearing journals with the older caps.

It wouldn't surprise me if they just sapped the castings over for the blocks but didn't fully machine the block for the later front cover.

I think that is exactly what they have done, they probably ran out of the older block castings.