Power Steering box lower seal replacement?

The power steering box on my 1985 ninety is now leaking quite a bit. I think its got worse since my 2.5na to 200tdi transplant – I’m assuming it might be that the new pump might be more effective and providing higher pressure but that could be co-incidence.

The box is the Adwest type – parts manual says STC1037 but I think it maybe a typo and should be STC1137

The box is leaking from the lower shaft seal. Its dry everywhere else.

I’ve done a very quick search on replacing the seals.

One post said it was an absolute pig of a job and a waste of 2 days of their life.

Another said they had replaced the seals with new Zeus seals and its been fine.

The box is the original as far as I know so probably could do with replacing( a bit of play in it) fairly soon, but budget is a bit tight at the mo.

Just like some replies from anyone that knows whats involved and how successful replacing the seals is likely to be.

If i do end up getting a new box. Where do people recommend going – i’ve read that it might be as well to go direct to Adwest (Magal)

Thanks

Nick

I've replaced the seals on a few boxes, some successfully, some not. It really depends on how worn / pitted the main shaft is as to how bigger leak you'll see afterwards.

In the end I found a box that seems fairly oil tight, so didn't have to buy a new one, but everyone seems to say just buy a new one from Adwest.

I have the same issue swapped a Td with a 300 and now leaks.

Had ago tightening it which worked for a bit but its getting bad again.

My plan is to swap with a new one then take the time to stip and rebuild the old one to keep as spare.

Heres a step by step if you need it http://landrover.workshop-manuals.com/defender300tdi/index.php?id=405

Thanks. Whilst budget is a factor so is my time to rebuild at the moment.

Perhaps I will give Adwest a call... and on that note does anyone have a contact number for the correct department. The Magal website doesnt give much in the way of contact infformation.

Can anyone tell me what they paid for a new box going direct to them?