TD5 Engine Mount Position Measurements

I'm hoping someone with a TD5 can take some measurements for me.

I need to weld the engine mounts onto my chassis, and would like to get them in the right place!

I've taken a photo of the mount held up against the chassis, and marked on it the distances that i ideally need to get it sitting in the correct place.

Image is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7m7z2u07u5r05l/IMG_20130410_125711annotated.jpg

The three measurements are essentially the distance between the inner face of the front crossmember, to the side of the mount, shown by the black long line, plus the measurements between the top face of the chassis and the lower section of the mount, indicated by the short black lines. Alternatively the height at which the red dots sit above the chassis would be equally useful (and probably easier to measure in situ?)

I believe both mounts are in the same place so one set of measurements plus a quick check that the other side is the same would be great.

Cheers

Kev

Hi mate i'll try and make some sense of this . i get for your long line 330mm short line 20mm

but(here comes the nonsense)where your red dots are imagine you had dotted the outer edges

on the bracket is there a circular cut out? if so the bottom of the circle sits flush with the top of the chassis rail

ie higher than in your pic hope this helps both sides are the same

think i would be tempted to wait for the engine nail it to a g/box then measure again

Oh thats fantastic!

I'll take a side on photo of the bracket at the weekend so you can see, but yeh, i think there is some sort of cutout near the corner.

I presume both short black lines measure 20mm?

I found this tiny pic on Marslands website, so i guess i can try holding it in line with your measurements and take a photo and see if they look the same!:

mount4.jpg

Cheers, Kev

Why not bold the engine to the gearbox and find the place then. I had a conversion from v8 to Td5 and bolted the engine to my automatic and found 50mm distance to the back of the engine bay the right position. (I have the automatic of the V8 attached, and this is 50mm shorter than the Td5 one.

So engine sits 50mm back but all fits. Only small extention of the hoses to the radiator and cooler.

I didn'd want to remount the gearbox, because of the propshafts.

cheers Theo :i-m_so_happy:

Well i dont have the engine or box yet, but ideally i want to get the brackets welded in before the bulkhead goes on and space becomes more limited.

Gearbox mounts are all standard TD5 spec, so all i need to do it put the engine brackets on in the right place as per a standard TD5.

Sure i could hang on until i get everything, but a couple of fairly simple measurements will get it in the right place without too much trouble i'd imagine, and should be easier trying to line everything up with the engine swinging around on a crane!

Ok i went out and positioned it 330mm from the front panel, and lined up the side bits as you suggested....

This is an angled shot, showing the semi-circular cut out lined up with the chassis rail:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bzk68uw055g4jd4/IMG_20130414_165110.jpg

And another straight on shot in the same position:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ofhobljt8ifuvu/IMG_20130414_165216.jpg

I presume the semi-circular cutout should be flush on the front and rear? The mount sits at a slight angle if thats the case?

Cheers

Kev

Just found your post/pics looks pretty good to me

the mount isnt identical to origonal but close enough and looking at it there does appear to be a slight angle

just been out and looked

the engine and box do tilt back a fair way

hope this helps

• 7 years later...

For doing a td5 swap to an automatic transmission (disco1),  does the transmission have to be lowered down or can it stay in place?

My plan is to build some motor mounts for the td5 and bolt them to the v8 mounts currently on the frame. Is this doable or will that make the td5 sit a little too high? 

Cheers

Scott

Gosh! Aragorns not posted on here for years... 

I am slightly interested in your username... my uncle used to have a 2200 and a Wolseley of the same era (unless you work on different land crabs!)

I am sure others will know the answer to your post :)

Edited by reb78

11 hours ago, reb78 said:

Gosh! Aragorns not posted on here for years... 

I am slightly interested in your username... my uncle used to have a 2200 and a Wolseley of the same era (unless you work on different land crabs!)

I am sure others will know the answer to your post :)

Thanks Reb,

I have only ever seen pictures of the 2200 and Wolsely's. 

My name on here is what I named my Toyota Landcruiser 30 years ago, and then what I called my mobile mechanical business. My company was Landcrab Mobile Mechanical in Vancouver Canada. 

Scott