Range Rover Vogue Classic to Coils ( unfortunately )

coachman

Hello fellow RR fans ,I must admit defeat with resurecting my air suspension system .So in the interim period I am going to convert to coils . Later I will source the relavent `bits pieces` and reinstate to air .The air bags ,electrical components would appear to have been ` canibalised `at some point ( to a large degree ) making an immediate rebuild financially and practically hopeless .

Does anyone have first hand knoowledge of the conversion from air to coils .

On a different aspect I am trying to find ( ebay and amazon ) literature for the car , 1994 Range Rover Classic Vogue 3.9 efi ,has anyone out there any surpless handbooks ,manuals ,sale brochures ,or even `decent spots lights ` ,can someone tell me what the circular canister under the bonnet does ( apart from BUZZ`)( PLEASE )Coachman .

post-36830-0-77133100-1365683505_thumb.jpg

post-36830-0-27219900-1365683588_thumb.jpg

post-36830-0-80896700-1365683654_thumb.jpg

post-36830-0-49531500-1365683710_thumb.jpg

post-36830-0-60428200-1365683775_thumb.jpg

post-36830-0-44795300-1365683857_thumb.jpg

post-36830-0-07586300-1365683960_thumb.jpg

post-36830-0-23542300-1365684021_thumb.jpg

post-36830-0-24438700-1365684089_thumb.jpg

The canister is part of the emissions/fuel breather. It's filled with carbon.

The conversion is fairly easy, we did my Dad's not too long ago (much against my suggestion I might add).

Rear - you'll need new dampers/springs/spring seat/spring retainer/bolts

Front - you'll need the above + a new shock turrent and retaining ring to swap shock position.

It's then a case of remove the old equipment and add the new.

Before spending too much money I'd have a good poke around and look at the normal rust places.

Picture 3 is the valve control box mounted underneath the vehicle, once running on coils this can be removed.

Picture 4 is the air suspension ECU

If the body and chassis seem sound I'd replace the brake pads and check all the fluids before doing any serious miles, brake pads will be an easy job while you're under there sorting the springs (assuming the calipers are not seized).

No worries :)

The shocks fitted with the air suspension are different to those fitted to coil sprung models, they're valved differently and the front ones are also fitted in a different location. I would certainly be replacing them. Added to that they're likely to be the original ones and would benefit from a refresh.

The soft dash Classic is still viewed by many, including most senior LR engineers and managers of the time, to be the best RR ever. If it's financially viable, then restoring this will be very rewarding if you plan to keep it, though you wouldn't get your money back on it just yet. Soft dashes aren't that common, though, and their values are slowly rising, as are most Classics in good order; LR are selling CSK number 1 for £65k and I've seen a few standard but top condition Classics for around £15-18k recently!

The advice of checking the body shell for rot before spending money is wise. Most is available or can be fabricated, but you need to know how much cost you're getting into.

I know of a Classic with EAS that is slowly decomposing in Luton. It might have some of the parts you need. I don't know the owners or anyone who lives on that road, but it's on Stockingstone Road.