Defender 200tdi turbo oil return pipe refitting

Hi Everyone...

I'm putting my 110 back together after fitting the Raptor Dash and EGT, Boost, Tach & Voltage gauges, and fitting a Td5 dash. I have everything back in place, and I'm ready to take it for its first drive..... but I can't get the 22mm oil return feed pipe onto the bottom of the Turbo....

I've tried with the manifold bolted up, with it loose but still "hanging" on the studs and also with my brother holding it and adjusting the angle to hopefully get the thread to bite but it won't. No matter how I try it, going anti clockwise first to hear the "click" there is nothing.

I've checked the threads and they seem to be fine, both have threads up to the end and aren't mangled.

If anyone has any hints or ideas please let me know... I've been trying for 5 hours now and its about to get a thump from a lump hammer!!

Thanks

Mat

Think I'm going to have to do that... I was hoping to not have to, seen as I've spent so long trying to get this one back on but I'm getting no where.

Is it as fine a thread on the 27mm as there is on the 22mm below the turbo or is it a regular thread (and easier to re-thread?)

There doesn't seen to be a whole lot of room near the 27mm on the sump, is there a good way of getting it off? Is it just a nip over hand tight like the one above or am I looking at something more serious?

Thanks

Mat

The bottom of the pipe does't need to be terribly tight as the oil is dribbling (at a fair rate, though) down inside and is not under pressure other than the mild crank case pressure created by piston blow-by and the brake servo vacuum pump (which dumps air continuously into the crank case). A nip over finger tight is OK, but try to get it as reasonably tight as you can, You might need to move other things like the exhaust out of the way. At least you have more space that in a 109! :D

28mm on the sump undid with a slight "anti" nip... undid by hand and had the pipe on the turbo and refitted to the block and sump within 3 mins!!

Don't know why I didn't do it that way in the 1st place.... anyone taking the manifold or turbo off... whip off the 28mm on the sump..... 100x's easier!!!

Thanks for all the hints guys... much appreciated as always!

Mat