Premium diesel is it worth it?

swerving

Hi guys,

I have recently had problems with my amber engine warning light coming on, when my 2006 TD4 was in for MOT I got it put on a compnter and the

guy said it was the MAP sensor, probably just dirty inlet manifold. ( I haven't a clue really what he's on about ) He said they can get

gunged up and easy job just to whip it off and clean it.

I have tried Redex with some, but not complete success.

I was wondering if a couple of tanks of premium diesel might help.

Any thoughts??

No amount of additive will do anything to solve your problem.

Diesel goes straight into the combustion chamber, not the inlet manifold. The 'gunge' as your mechanic puts it is either a very slow oil leak past the turbo (normal on floating bearings) or oil / contaminated oil from the crankcase breather. I'm not sure on the freelander but most have a PCV valve on the cylinder head which can become faulty and let through excessive crankcase gasses through the breather arrangement.

Either way, what you describe sounds normal.

Assuming it's a 2.0 TD4 (BMW) lump then yes, the inlet manifolds gunge up mainly because of the EGR and turbo oil (natural). Not much you can do with it other than fit an EGR blanking kit (or plug the small EGR pipe with a 2p). The MAP sensor is on the inlet manifold (see the RAVE manuals), you may be able to remove & clean it (& de-gunk its hole) but you might just as easily damage it with whatever you clean it with.