discovery wont start unless foot on throttle

john_grainger

hi my discovery 1 300tdi wont start unless i have my foot on the throttle,

a friend said it could be my pump or a lift pump

ive replace thee lift pump and it still wont start

he replace the fuel pump then put the old 1 back in (i didn't see him do it) im thinking timing might be out

it first started on Saturday when i was in stoke and it just lost power

Have you checked if there is air in the system? I have a similar problem with my Td5. There are procedures online about how to remove air from a diesel system, you may need to do these more than once. I've been doing them everyday for about two weeks now.

It might not fix your problem, but it's got to be worth a try.

Harry

Unless you have an odd 300TDi then you will just have a pickup pipe in the fuel tank and a lift pump on the engine. Here are a couple of things you could try/look at:

Undo the banjo on the top of the fuel filter and crank the engine so that the lift pump engages. The lift pump handle only engages at a certain point on the cam shaft which means that the little handle only works at that point. Pump the lift pump and you should see a pretty good squirt of fuel out of the banjo. If not then you might either have a faulty lift pump or a fuel blockage. Just out of interest, did you fit a good lift pump or a Sh**Part one?

Drain and remove the sediment bowl which is at the back under the boot floor on the drivers side. I think all 300TDi's had them. Check for water and/gunk.

Remove the rear carpet, pop the inspection plate off the boot floor and remove the pickup pipe from the fuel tank. Have a look to see if there is any gunk in the tank that could cause a blockage.

What makes you think the timing is out? Have you had the timing belt changed recently or something? I doubt if this would cause the issues you are having, but I could be wrong. It sounds like a fuel starvation issue to me.

One other thing, when it runs and loses power, is the injector pump loud? If so, this again is usually down to a starvation of fuel and the lack of lubrication causes the shuttle in the pump to knock.

the reason i think the fuel timing is out because a friend removed the pump to check it and didn't use a timing kit (its going in on Thursday for the timing) ive put a new lift pump on it

im having the timing done £50
he is going to bleed the fuel and replace anything that it needs at the same time

thanks for your reply's

You could do a rough check on the pump timing yourself by putting the crank at TDC and take off the little cover on the timing chest by the pump and push a 9mm drill bit in the hole. You can see if the crank is at TDC by looking in the little bolt hole in the bell housing and see if you can see a cut in the flywheeel. Mind you, this wouldn't show you if the cam shaft was out of timing. You would have to remove the timing chest cover to do that.

Sounds like a right pain in the posterior.