Flex Plate/Drive Plate Failure

JB750

OK, after much deliberation on here and other forums, I have come to the conclusion that my 300TDi Disco has knacked Flex Plate :( I have not been able to check it, but seeing as the engine seems to have plenty of compression when I rotate the crank, and the ring gear can be turned easily by hand, it seems favourite!

It seems I am looking at around £100 for a replacement plate so not the end of the world (quite!)

My question is, do I remove the engine to replace the plate, or can it be done by pulling the gearbox back far enough to get at the plate? I know I have to be careful to make sure I leave the TC in place when seperating the engine and box, I already have the starter motor off so can get at the 4 bolts through to the TC.

Any help/advice would be welcomed with open arms.

Thanks guys.

JB

You can do it either way, but it's actually easier to take the engine out.

If you haven't got access to a ramp and a transmission jack, then definitely engine out is easiest.

I've done it both ways, and I've also had the box out with the truck on the ground and its a pig of a job that way. Make sure that you correctly shim the new flex plate when you fit it, and also make certain that the dowels between the engine and bell housing are in place.

Jon

What he said ^^^^^^^.

If you remove the radiator, you don't need to take the engine all the way out - just move it forward, supporting the gearbox on a trolley jack. It's a bit tight & the visibility isn't great - but it's possible!

Si

What he said ^^^^^^^.

If you remove the radiator, you don't need to take the engine all the way out - just move it forward, supporting the gearbox on a trolley jack. It's a bit tight & the visibility isn't great - but it's possible!

Si

That sounds like a better option to me :D