1995 V8i Discovery Auto - Intermittent Cutting Out

Dunc

Morning All,

Our Disco is near perfect, but has developed an annoying, and potentially dangerous, fault.

When braking to a halt or on a trailing throttle at tickover rpm (eg, low speed coasting slowing down) she will cut out.

As it's an auto, that means selecting 'N' and restarting, all whilst trying to manhandle a Disco now devoid of power steering and brakes... inevitably whilst turning into a junction, it's not much fun.

When it happens to the wife, with the kids on board, I have to hear about it a lot.

She's in fantastic condition (the Disco, not the wife) only 93k miles from new with relatively new leads and plugs.

As she's one of the rare Discos that came without the factory fitted rusty sills and rear floor, I'm keen to keep her A1.

Maybe it's this RTS sensor I keep hearing about? Must be ignition related somehow.

Thanks for any enlightenment you can give or if any additional info is needed, just ask.

Oh, by the way, by 'intermittent', I mean it can range from once a fortnight to three times a day.

She runs beautifully, no hesitation or stuttering, just effortless smooth power and can really pick her skirts up when need be.

My MOT man even commented she's the nicest sounding V8 he's heard in years.

You can see why it's frustrating, especially as our RRC isn't on the road, so she's our sole vehicle.

A blocked crankcase breather and it's hose to the plenum can have this affect as I found out once ,so simple things first like sticking some Redex or similar into the fuel may also help, seems to work for me as i have had any such problem for years, it's the Supermarket fuel I believe.

Then getting deaper into it, its checking the idle control valve is clean and base idle is correct.

You will have to enlighten me on what a " RTS sensor" is. :)

my first thought was the idle valve, when mine does this that's the bit i take out and clean.

I shall be attacking it on sunday after work.

Saw new ones on eBay ranging from £11 through £80 for Britpart to £200+ for genuine.

Seems quite a hefty variation in price, and I'm guessing quality, so I'll stick to refurbishing mine I think!

If your engine is running right the should be only laquer on the workings which injection cleaner will remove, but if u do remove the valve to clean it with something like brake cleaner, you will require a replacement fiber sealing washer as it can easly break when carring out the removal.