Temp gauge reading high

Merv121

The needle in my temp gauge is touching the red during normal running even though the engine (2 1/4 petrol) is not overheating, does anyone have resistance measurements for the sender please? Or could it be the voltage stabiliser in the back of the panel? What voltage is it stabilising at, I seem to remember smiths gauges working at 10 volts and not 12 or is my memory failing?

Yes is 10 Volts

Here are some readings taken when doing my conversion to 200DI note the 1st 2 where just different ambient temperatures.

Temperature 13 15 18 56 100C
series sender 460 385 323 118 56 This read correct

Steve Parker

series unit 296 97 45.8 This was the unit I fitted but has always read high so believe the originals resistances.
300tdi 770 587 511 150 98
200Tdi 4100 2800 2000 600 300

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few questions about this. I've done a 200TDi ensgine conversion into my '81 109" SW, it replaced a 2.25 petrol engine. Old engine ran fine, temp needle always sat slap bang in the middle.

I installed this when I did the conversion: http://www.steveparkers.com/conversions/200-tdi-discovery-series/200-tdi-discovery-conversion-adaptor-fine-thread-late-s2a-s3.html

Which i think is the sender that Serious Series talks about. When I run my engine the needle sits pretty much against the red part of the gauge, now this is pretty un-nerving - I have rebuilt this engine, it has has a new OE water pump and thermostat, I have also re-cored the radiator. UYou can't help that feeling of paranoia. "Is it going to explode...?"

Is that the needle position I can expect then??

Thanks..!

The SP ones have different values from the genuine part, as detailed above. I have a SP exhaust o my Tdi conversion, and previously had an SP exhaust for a 12J conversion, and neither was made remotely correctly, and he accused me of lying when I complained. In my opinion, SP is an aggressive and rude trader with dire, threatening service, and their parts are only fit for scrap. I will never use his business again.