Grinding Noise at Speed

1996 110 300tdi. Ive developed a grinding noise that happens fairly consistently between 30 and 35 km/hr. No other speed. Not major, but I can hear it and I can feel it through the gas pedal. More so when the road is rough. Goes away when I step on the clutch. Any thoughts?

Surprising no-one's replied up to now. Sounds like it's somewhere in the clutch/flywheel area and going away when you depress the clutch would suggest to me that it's something to do with the driven plate or the release bearing, something I think that you should investigate as soon as possible before things fly apart and you're stranded somewhere.

I’m not surprised there has been but your response, Farmerfred. I have discussed this with a number of folks, had a couple of mechanics for test runs, and no one has a definitive diagnosis. Your concern is noted, though I don’t think it has reached a point where I want to dig this deep quite yet. This puzzling problem is the most odd one I’ve experienced in over ten years and many kilometers with this Defender. I will wait to see how it unfolds.