engine out or gearbox ???? 200tdi

Ladge

many prefer the gearbox as lot less to undo to get it out of the way, two props, hydraulic pipe and a cable, then just drop the cross member, you have to undo the bell housing bolts anyway, Vs pulling the engine out, coolant pipes, fuel pipes exhaust pipe, cables wires and clips and then there is the need to be able to lift it out of the engine bay!!!

many prefer the gearbox as lot less to undo to get it out of the way, two props, hydraulic pipe and a cable, then just drop the cross member, you have to undo the bell housing bolts anyway, Vs pulling the engine out, coolant pipes, fuel pipes exhaust pipe, cables wires and clips and then there is the need to be able to lift it out of the engine bay!!!

I take your point about pipes and stuff, but what about lining the gearbox up again from under the vehicle, it’s a heavy old box to be messing about with.

Not so bad as long as you are on flat concrete and have a trolley jack and a mate/wife to help jiggle it around, although if you have an engine hoist as it sounds as though you do you could poke that above the trans tunnel and with a strop lift it from inside the cab? Of course being sure to avoid hitting the roof as you get to the top ^_^

I’ve only changed one gearbox and that was on a classic Range Rover, what a game that was, had a few engines in and out of landys, already started to get vehicle ready for the engine lift about an hour ago, drained water, rad and turbo rad both out, all front pipe work disconnected another hour in morning should be ready to lift.

I have tried both methods several times. I definitely favour removing the engine, despite the greater preparation work. It is much easier to handle and to re-align, and can be done without help (and unwanted advice along the way!). I have changed the clutch by easing the engine forward but not lifting it at all. Remove the radiator and leave it hanging on the crane. I did the whole job in an afternoon! No need to disconnect the exhaust from the manifold, easier to disconnect the manifold from the head. Other systems can also be left connected.

Have never replaced the clutch on anything by taking the engine out. Just too much to disconnect so always opt for the gearbox out. Having said that it is a long time since I did a clutch and should have done mine when the chassis was being done but did not have the cash. So could be looking at doing one very soon.

Takes me around an hour or an hour and half to remove the engine at home, I can do the clutch in a day at home. The only rolling about to be done is taking the gearbox bolts out and in again. And that’s on a diesel. V8 is much easier so much lighter.

I'd say gearbox, mainly because you can get it out, give it a good jetwash and take the opportunity to check over your linkages etc and maybe change output seals etc whilst it's out

The lt77 balances quite nicely on the 3 bolt holes underneath the 5th gear housing with an lt230 attached, it's a 2 man job with a trolley jack, I'm getting mine out in 2 hours and back in is around 3 probably :)