300 Tdi, electical, S233

Birus

Hi everybody.

I'm new to this forum. Please forgive me my bad English, I do my best to write correctly.

I have problem with my Discovery 300 Tdi. One day it simply did not start. Any devices that should work in positions I, II and III of ignition switch - did not work. Looking at the power distribution it seemed strange to me.

Discovery_power_distribution_01b.jpg

First I thought that someone has fitted some non-standard immobiliser between battery an ignition switch in my car. Then I realised that S233 splice connection may be weak - it works under low current load but does not work at higher load.
I made a makeshift solution to the problem. I connected C114-2 with C220-1 and C2006-30 and C282-30 with extra wires. It works.
Still I want to repair the fault properly. But I cannot find the physical location of the S233 splice connection. The NW wires from the relays and ignition switch seem to go deep under the dash panel. I have very little mechanical experience and dash panel disassembly is a great challenge to me. Before I start messing with the dash panel I would like to be sure, if it is necessary.
So here comes my question. Do you know where is the S233 splice connection and can I access it without disassembling dash panel? I didn't find the answer on google nor in Workshop and Electrical manual. Please help.

Best,
Rafal

Sounds like a similar prob I had on my 1990 Disco where the lights kept failing and I traced it to a high resistance joint on the Multi plug to the light/indicator switch. The connector was under the steering column panel/shroud. Don't know if the same for the ignition?

It wasn't very obvious what the problem was as the pins looked ok but they weren't :-)

Good luck and a big welcome to the forum :-)

Easiest thing to do would be to trace the wires back from the under bonnet fuse box... I've presently got a D1 with dash fully stripped out, I'll see if I can pinpoint it. BUT I'm guessing your truck is Left hand drive which would mean its potentially in quite a different position...

Found!

Easiest thing to do would be to trace the wires back from the under bonnet fuse box... I've presently got a D1 with dash fully stripped out, I'll see if I can pinpoint it. BUT I'm guessing your truck is Left hand drive which would mean its potentially in quite a different position...

You are right, my Discovery is LHD. I had traced the wires before, but they were difficult to access.

Eventually I found it behind the RH side of fascia, behind the ABS ECU.

I expected something like this:

splice.connector.jpg

But this is what I found:

S233-01.JPG

S233-02.JPG

Lucas, the Prince of Darkness strikes again !!!! This is one of the many reasons why next year I'm going to re-wire my disco and garbage all the unrequired wiring to make it simpler and more functional.

For example, make the auxullary battery on the passenger side the main unit to reduce the charging wiring length from the alternator and at the same time shorten the main wire from the battery to the starter motor.