PLEASE HELP ,none starting, smoky 300tdi

coachman

Hello everyone , I found enough courage to drive my 1994 300tdi Discovery to plymouth last week , to my relief the car ran very well ,although I did not drive above 60mph ( I was towing a trailer ) .

While in Devon I had a drive or two around Dartmoor and all was good .

I drove home onMonday with similar mechanical excellance .

The car is an automatic and the acceleration is not brilliant ,I would suffice to say , I just gathered speed .

On Tuesday morning I came to start the engine and was ready for the initial none start ( never starts up immediately )then 10 seconds later the positive restart ,NOT TODAY ,no start at all .

So I put battery on charge ,then later still no start .

Wednesday after much cranking over the engine fired up ,with lots of smoke ( light blue ) and reluctance to tick over . There is no discernable misfire .

I have started up since and quite problematic with smoke also .

DOES ANYONE have any ideas as to my problem PLEASE .

coachman .

post-36830-0-15441300-1383259064_thumb.jpg

post-36830-0-75917700-1383259160_thumb.jpg

Like the water crossing. Your first sentence is a bit worrying, sounds like a fuel problem to me for now, what have you checked?

I would start with the water trap, fuel filter, maybe you took some water in the fuel with your trip, or when you last fueled.

Could be a fuel lift pump problem. I have twice traced poor starting (my 1992 200TDi normally starts immediately, I never wait for the Glow Plugs) to a failed inlet non-return valve in the lift Pump. This reduces the overall efficiency of the pump and allows fuel in the supply pipe to drain back to the tank when shut down, hence a long cranking period to fill the pipe before achieving a start. This wouldn't cause the smoke though. You have another underlying problem I suspect. Valve clearances? Crankcase breather? Air Filter? Fuel Filter, Faulty Fuel Injector?

This sounds familiar!

no start at all .

battery on charge ,then later still no start .

Wednesday after much cranking over the engine fired up ,with lots of smoke ( light blue ) and reluctance to tick over . There is no discernable misfire .

I have started up since and quite problematic with smoke also .

About 18months ago my peugeot partner van suffered very similar symptoms and it turned out to be a corroded pump internals from dirty fuel, we had a new tank installed in the yard, a plastic 5000ltr one and I got the last of the dregs out of the old 2000ltr metal one, and within 2wks it was dead, we came to the conclusion that it was a case of any water in the bottom of the tank ended up drained into my van and being used infrequently it corroded the internals of the pump.

But am hoping you are not so unlucky!!

This sounds familiar!

About 18months ago my peugeot partner van suffered very similar symptoms and it turned out to be a corroded pump internals from dirty fuel, we had a new tank installed in the yard, a plastic 5000ltr one and I got the last of the dregs out of the old 2000ltr metal one, and within 2wks it was dead, we came to the conclusion that it was a case of any water in the bottom of the tank ended up drained into my van and being used infrequently it corroded the internals of the pump.

This sounds familiar!

That is quite usefull info ,I should know about condensation being a htng eng . I shall drain tank as best as I can .

Coachman .