300tdi hard to start when warm

hi all, my 1990 90 fitted with a 300tdi and auto is suffering from a strange problem, starts when cold no problem, 2 or 3 turns, when hot it struggles to turn over and sometimes dosent. If i let it sit for 10min it starts no problem. im seeing no excess smoke form the xhaust on startup

has any body experienced this problem before. Could it be hydraulic lifters not working when warm ?

btw 200000 miles on engine.

cheers gary

Gary, I think you're confusing land rovers, and modern engines, the 300 certainly isn't modern, and doesn't have hydraulic lifters.

As to the problem, it could possibly (but I doubt it) be that the tappets are too tight, do you lack power when hot too??

I always start with the simple things, do you have fuel at the pump when its hot? Is the solenoid opening correctly,

ive a few noisey tappets, but that dosent mean dont ive a tight one on the cylinder shes trying to start on, ill check them on monday. it almost seems that there is too much compression when warm, once it turns it starts its just getting it to turn, ive had the starter overhauled so all good there. maybe a new battery is the answer,

cheers gary

Hi Gary, I have similar problems for past few months, starter struggles to turn over after a long drive. In my case I strongly suspect it's the Spider Immobiliser circuit board faults (check out bogmonster,a post in discovery forum LR4x4).

Having not enough time to remove dash panel to for a permanent repair. I did a quick fix... Wire up a relay at the starter motor using your original trigger wire to signal the relay (85) and taking power (30) directly from starter. That should provide stronger current (87) to run the starter solenoid,

Ben

the only spider in my 90 is living and has 8 legs, but thanks for the reply it has set me thinking about the wires going to the starter maybe heating up ( from the turbo etc) so ill have a look around there and maybe renew them anyway.

cheers gary

Could be battery or battery contacts/wireing. I've just upgraded my ingintion switch and I'm gob smacked the difference its made to the "crispness" of starting. don't underestimate the conductivity of scabby battery wireing conections...