Pub gas, myths and truths

Nigelw

That's just as handy Peter, we'll all be sending you stuff to X-Ray for us

I cant unfortunately x ray stuff at work, but there is a simple test that can find cracks in alloy , stainless and carbon steels, as long as they are open to the surface.

The test is simple one (even i can do it ) and the consumables (3 aersols) are on ebay for about £20

i hope i am not teaching you all how to suck eggs but here goes

Dye penetrant testing.

I, Clean item with the aersol cleaner and rags, remove all residues etc, do not use wire brushes, blast or mechanical aids as these can close cracks.

2, Apply dye to wet surface, i normally spray a little into an egg cup or lid and paint it on.

3, TEA have a cuppa and wait 15mins for the dye to work into the crack.

4, Remove excess dye with a clean dry rag.

5, Get another clean dry rag and apply a light spray of cleaner onto rag , wait 15 seconds and again clean surface of item under test.

6, Apply a light coat of the white developer powder over the surface, just enough to mask the sheen of the metal,

7, Tea, have another cuppa and wait for 15 mins till the dye is sucked of what might be a crack or whatever.

8, if you can see something that now looks like a line or crack, you found one!, a series of dots in a row is also another sign, and you should know if its just excess on a corner you haven't cleaned off.

i have used this myself to good effect on a engine block, but it can be used on welds, cylinder heads, gears etc etc

i dont know how to post a pic but if someone would like to post it for me send me a pm and i'll send you the pic of the result