RR P38 Load Space Spare Wheel bracket for LPG vehicles

Jezz

I have designed and am fabricating a spare wheel bracket to stand in the left hand corner of the P38 loadspace (similar to that in the Classic). It will enable the wheel to be clamped vertically. I have a 90 litre LPG donut tank in the spare wheel well and have travelled on short trips with no spare wheel. On long trips its either been loose on the rear floor or jammed behind the driver's seat - neither is safe or desirable.

It will bolt to the floor in place of the CD changer which, if still required (mine is long gone - replaced by an in-dash unit) and also utilises the tie-down bolt hole (hidden under the carpet if you don't have a tie-down. It is made from 5mm steel plate and will either be black powder coated, zinc anodised (gold colour) or galvanised.

Anyone insterested? I need at least 7 orders to make it cost effective to produce.

• 2 weeks later...
Prototype completed. Have 'over-engineered' it using 4mm steel plate. It has a 460x175mm floor plate using the original tie-down points for strength and the CD changer mounting holes for lateral stability. If you want to keep your CD changer it can be remounted on top of the plate. I removed mine and fitted an in-dash unit. I leave the spare at home normally so I used the loadspace cover then. When travelling I need the room for camping gear so I leave the loadspace cover at home instead.
I have spray painted it (roughly) but if I can get enough interest to make 7+ they'll be powder coated. Price will be around AU$350 depending on volume.
See pics. In one of them I have a 4 tonne bottle jack, jack handle and wheel brace strapped into the back of the carrier tower. I am also looking at making a colour matching soft cover to go over the wheel once fixed in place.
If anyone is interested let me know

IMG 0498 Web

IMG 0495 Web

IMG 0494 Web

IMG 0490 Web

IMG 0489 Web

IMG 0488 Web

Sounds interesting, but I see a few issues:

1) It would also interfere with the subwoofer on the top-line audio systems

2) Would it be possible to accomodate for larger tyre sizes (265/75R16)?

Maybe you can build it on the other side?

Elbekko

Larger tyres like 255/55 R18's that are on mine? Certainly the other side would be better as it would not interfere with the visibility on the right hand drive models.

Like it very much. I have two dogs who live in the boot of both my Disco and my Range Rover. This will allow me to carry the spare wheel in safety and let the dogs use the boot. Problems is you are down under.

No problem. I have already costed shipment at around AU$200.00 so if the price for the Carrier is $350.00 than for a total of around AU$550.00 (abt £280.00) I can get one to you. Still a lot cheaper and neater than a heavy steel bumper and swingaway wheel carrier. I've also made a vinyl wheel cover as an option.

Elbekko

Larger tyres like 255/55 R18's that are on mine? Certainly the other side would be better as it would not interfere with the visibility on the right hand drive models.

The restriction is when the tailgate (upper and lower) closes there is room for a maximum diameter wheel/tyre of about 29 inches. My car is right hand drive and I don't notice and visibility issues as the wheel is obscured by the headrest in any case. However, the design can be 'flipped' to manufacture it for the right hand side of the loadspace using the tie-down holes on that side. The two rear holes would need to be drilled through the floor and fitted with large washers for stability and strength.

• 2 weeks later...

Another option for you guys in the UK and EU is instead of making and shipping a unit I could sell each of you the engineering diagram (like a software license) for £100.00 and you could give it to a local steel fabricator to have it made up. This would save a substantial amount of money and time.

In case my last post about the diagram option gets deleted as it has elsewhere, anyone interested in that or other options please go to: www.facebook.com/RRP38sparewheelcarrier

Also, have modified the design to take 29" diameter wheels/tyres up to 33". For the 33" the seat back has to have 26mm spacer inserted to tilt it slightly forward.

• 1 month later...