ICE / Other Gizmos

Darren Roberts

I've been un-sucessfull re-fitting the aftermarket head unit back into my bobtail (1992 ex-air sprung SE). This is mainly due to the wiring being botched rather than the previous owner being the correct ISO connector - I guess this is a fairly common theme - botched wiring....

Anyway, that got me into thinking, maybe buy a new head unit with USB connectivity and use the ipod directly, or not to bother, a fit different gizmos instead, such as a CB?

Looking for something simple to install but still have some entertainment, as it's mainly used for greenlaning and pay and play, but the occasional commute.

Not really bothered weather or not I used the existing amp in the boot. Interested to hear what other people have got fitted and if you've got pictures of your setup I'd love to see them

cheers

Darren

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok, first job was to fit a buzzer to tell me when the lights were on and ignition off. I also needed a light feed for the land meter on the dash, so I came up with this:-

I butchered an old loom and a light dimmer switch, and came up with this "sandwich" loom, which provides a light feed for the land meter and feeds one half of the buzzer to tell me the lights are on. Using standard connectors from the old loom meant that I hadn't butchered the loom in the vehicle.

Second job was to provide a new power feed for re-installing the existing aftermarket radio. I ran a live and a negative directly from the battery, through the bulkhead on the drivers side, under the steering column and into the centre console. This model of SE didn't have any power to the head unit as standard - it had a data cable linking it to the power amp in the rear. All of this had been butchered by a previous owner - all the wires had been cut - typical! When the new head unit was fitted they had also fitted 1 additional speaker in each of the front doors. So I've junked the crimped connectors on what was left of the ISO loom that came with the aftermarket head unit - replaced these with brass bullets and only connected up the 2 new front speakers. Still have to sort out the ariel lead....

The new power feed was also used to power the radio and the new Cobra CB radio. This as mounter on the side of the centre console using the fitting kit provided - I cut the pre-wired cigarette lighter socket off and used soldered brass bullets to connect to the new feed directly from the battery.

The last job was to remove the cigarette lighter socket and I replace it with a twin USB - handy for plugging in the ipad which I use ViewRanger on when laning....