Quick CV joint to halfshaft question - regarding the circlip and colla

Hi All,

Hopefully just a quick confirmation from anybody,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my front axle off a 1989 110. I have replaced the diff centre with an Ashcroft ATB, this has 24 splines as opposed to the 10 splines my old diff centre had. I'm sticking with new but standard CV joints (earlier type) that have 23 splines. So I needed a 23/24 spline shaft - there is no Land Rover shaft of this arrangement as the later 24spline LR diffs were fitted with the later type CV that had 32 splines.

I simply bought Ashcroft 23/24 spline HD shafts, I now get a nice strength increase as-well :)

This weekend I planned to fit the lot, however I have run into a small problem. As you know the CV joint is 'retained' on the h-shaft by a 'circlip' and a collar fitted to the shaft prevents the shaft from moving 'into' the CV joint itself. Now I fitted the new cv to the Ashcrofts shaft as per the book. However the circlip never opened again - the CV could still slide off the shaft after being bushed right up against the collar. The ashcroft shaft is of a slightly different design to the standard one. The length of the splines section is much longer - and it is supplied with a much longer collar to compensate. However, on the RHS only, this collar (after much measuring) is overcompensating (by just under 2mm) - thus the CV is not fully engaged on the shaft. I do not have a lathe to machine the new ashcrofts collar.

However I do have a few 'spare' standard collars - these are 9.48mm thick. The ashcrofts collar is 32.98mm thick - and 1.96mm too thick. What I want to do is use 3 standard collars - this gives a total thickness of 28.08mm - so the CV now engages fully on the shaft. However there is now a bit of endfloat play, 2.90mm, to be precise.

My question is, does anybody see a problem with this play? There is near enough no play as standard fitment (well under 1.0mm anyways). I don't see a problem with this - The CV joint cannot move outwards as the circlip is engaged and present, also the CV is up against the bronze bush in the stub axle. The CV cant move inwards the 2.90mm as the shims and circlip on the outer end of the CV (after the drive flange) will prevent this.

The only thing that can move by 2.9mm is the halfshaft and I don't think the shaft moving into the CV by 2.9mm is going to cause any problems that it would if it could move further in. I also see no problem with the shaft being able to move by 2.9mm diff or CV end - will this cause accelerated wear of the splines or anything? Is there anything I have missed that could cause a problem?

I will get onto Ashcrofts in the morning and see what they say - but whatever they do say, getting a new collar is going to take a few days, and I'm pushed for time as it is!! I really need the car back on the road very soon and, unfortunately, cant wait a couple of says for every little snag, especially if there are no adverse effects of taking the shortcut!

Also If anybody has heard of something similar I'd be interested to know as this seems a bit odd to me! But I did triple check the measurements...

Sorry for yet another long post,

Jack.

Um not sure what 606662 is... Google threw up a halfshaft part no!

I'm using standard early type (apparently stronger that the later type) AEU2522 CVs.

yeah from looking at it I cant see that it's especially important - and now I've managed to keep the bloody clip anyways so I'll whack it back on tomorrow and get on with it! Still think the part should fit properly though - expensive!

Also just seen your sig, you seem to know a bit about diffs! I asked a question about setting one up with the new ATB last week and the consensus was get a pro to do it. If you can manage a rear late (puma) diff build with a locker in the next couple of weeks I'll PM you for a quote.

Thanks

My CV has the 'final' part of the shaft as an integral part of the CV. The other side is internally splined to accept the halfhsaft, which in turn is held in place by a little clip and collar.

Sorry, being stupid here!

Yes - that looks about right. The only thing that isnt is the circlip and shim shown on the inside (diff) end of that shaft. Unless it's actually inserted the other way round? And yes its that circlip and collar (shim) I'm having an 'issue' with...

Here are some pictures:

Okay even one pic was too big to upload, I'll do it elsewhere and sort a link a bit later!