Engine start problem - fuel supply

Good morning Gents!

Short description about my problem:

300tdi

In september i made frame switch.

Engine was disassembled and fuel pump was changed to new one (that small one on block)

After that I had problems with engine start: need to use starter for 10-15 sec.

Than I had problems with dirt in fuel tank - it was removed and dirt taken out.

Also fuel pipes from pump to filter and from filter to High Pressure FP were changed.

Filter was changed

Problem - still remaining.

I've checked fuel filter - after night - it was almost empty.

I suggest that when not working - all fuel goes back to tank.

Who knows - are there any valves in pump? How is it possible that all fuel goes from fuel filter?

Maybe some more dirt blocking fuel line from tank???

It seems to me that fuel flow from filter is higher than to filter

Need your advice)

2013 11 29 19.33.42

2013 11 29 19.33.32

Air molecules are smaller than fuel molecules, so leaks may allow air in but not fuel out.

I would start by closely inspecting the injector pipes for cracks and make sure their nuts are tight. Then replace the copper washers on the banjo unions. Check the pipes into the lift pump are tight - I have had recurring problems on a 200Tdi of the pipe from the filter wearing its olive and becoming loose. Also make sure that the fuel leak-off pipes (the small braided hoses between the injectors) aren't leaking - they perish and split every few years, but you can but the hose cheaply on rolls from autofactors rather than paying LR a fortune for an un-necessary full system.

What was the brand of fuel pump you replaced? And why did you replace it? Was it working OK before you replaced it?

Delfi made. Old one was leaking in winter.

I've tested it with my habds - used to work

Air molecules are smaller than fuel molecules, so leaks may allow air in but not fuel out.

I would start by closely inspecting the injector pipes for cracks and make sure their nuts are tight. Then replace the copper washers on the banjo unions. Check the pipes into the lift pump are tight - I have had recurring problems on a 200Tdi of the pipe from the filter wearing its olive and becoming loose. Also make sure that the fuel leak-off pipes (the small braided hoses between the injectors) aren't leaking - they perish and split every few years, but you can but the hose cheaply on rolls from autofactors rather than paying LR a fortune for an un-necessary full system.

returning pipes - no leaks(used to change this year)

all pipes are tight - but I'll check

I think oа some dirt inside pipe. Fuel flow to filter is equal to flow from filter, and so there is always air inside. Anyway - I'll try to remove that air cap. fill filter with fuel ut to top then close and see what'll happen

Just seems odd that it worked OK before you changed the lift pump. If you have the old one I would put that back on and see if the problem goes away. Delphi are not as good as they used to be...

Also, I read about someone with a similar issue and someone suggested changing the pipe to the injector pump with some clear pipe so you can see if there are any air bubbles.

Yep, always suspect the area worked on if it was good before the work. New lift pumps can be faulty, but disturbing the fuel lines to and from the pump could have caused them to split if old and hardened, or you may have worn olives like I had, requiring a new pipe (I carry a spare in the car, such a recurring problem has it been).

Yep, always suspect the area worked on if it was good before the work. New lift pumps can be faulty, but disturbing the fuel lines to and from the pump could have caused them to split if old and hardened, or you may have worn olives like I had, requiring a new pipe (I carry a spare in the car, such a recurring problem has it been).

pump was with new rings - so I suppose that's not ther problem.

Well first check pupm - then other actions!