td5 air suspenion

cooda

Hi i have a 2001 td5 with air bags, its a very nice ride until it drops which it started doing randomly. If ive been driving for say 1 hour & the bags drop on me i have to wait 20 to 30 minutes before it will pump up again, it seems the compressor overheats???

having taken it to my mechanic he scans it & it comes up with compressor fault, so he installs a new compressor. Great.

Next morning it is down again! He has scaned it many times it keeps coming up with the same code: '199 compressor duty cycle reached limit'.

They have looked for leaks & found none the back end comes down evenly every time, It exhausts out the compressor as it should but why so randomly?? could the ECU be dodgy? & how do you test this?

Hoping someone has had experiance with this problem & can point us in the right direction....

In the meantime its back on the road with the old & reliable 300 tdi!

Hi,

You must be absolutly sure you do not have a leak anywhere in the system. Bags (Test on offroad mode) and air pipes, especially the o/s one which goes over the chassis. Make sure the air line connections are ok at the compressor and the intake filter (behind the r/n/s light unit) is not blocked.

I believe you have a leak somewhere and the compressor is overworking. It'll soon burn out if running all the time.

Is you're mechanic used to LRs?

Also check the ride height sensors connecting block/movement of the arm & that they're attached to the chassis

Griff

Hi,

You must be absolutly sure you do not have a leak anywhere in the system. Bags (Test on offroad mode) and air pipes, especially the o/s one which goes over the chassis. Make sure the air line connections are ok at the compressor and the intake filter (behind the r/n/s light unit) is not blocked.

I believe you have a leak somewhere and the compressor is overworking. It'll soon burn out if running all the time.

Is you're mechanic used to LRs?

Also check the ride height sensors connecting block/movement of the arm & that they're attached to the chassis

Griff

Hi thanks Griff, my mechanic has checked all these & is waiting on some info from land rover nz. It seems to be an odd ball fault... Im considering putting springs in instead just wanting a reliable ride!

If it's venting the bags of say there is a mismatch on the ride heights, is expect the ecu to be trying to level the car up when it does this, can you check the actual ride heights in live data

Ok thats a new angle thanks Mike i will get my man to check the heights.

Corrosion/crud can affect the electrical connectors at the height sensors, and it's a common fault. I saw a similar fault in an recent issue of LRM and the symptoms were similar to what you describe.

You're in NZ? What part mate?