300 tdi interior light

garymorris

Evening , right the patient is a 300 tdi , P reg and the problem is with the interior light set to auto , the lights won't turn off when the doors are shut , I know the it's the earth path that's switched.

So am I correct in thinking that maybe either I have a chaffed wire which is permanently earthing or the multifunction unit is playing up ?

Lights work when turned on manually and the alarm/immobiliser arms fine with 3 flashes .

Thanks

Gary

Evening , right the patient is a 300 tdi , P reg and the problem is with the interior light set to auto , the lights won't turn off when the doors are shut , I know the it's the earth path that's switched.

So am I correct in thinking that maybe either I have a chaffed wire which is permanently earthing or the multifunction unit is playing up ?

Lights work when turned on manually and the alarm/immobiliser arms fine with 3 flashes .

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary

I have just had to change my MFU in my 300Tdi ES Auto and one of the problems I was having was my courtesy lights not switching off. However, I did have a number of problems, not just the courtesy lights. My rear wash and wipers, the rear heated window, the front heated window, the front fog lights and the front intermittent wipers were also not working. Replacing the MFU has put all these problems right in one fell swoop. I suppose just one of the functions on your MFU can malfunction, but just thought I'd share my experience with one of the probs I had being the same as you're experiencing!

Hi

Was starting to wonder if I was going to get a reply lol.

My rear wiper does sometimes not work , apart from that everything seems fine except for the interior lights .

Where is the multifunction unit located and is it a simple plug in job ?

I guess I better have a look with a test lamp and see if an earth wire is chaffed

It sounds like you had a lot wrong with yours ,glad you got it sorted and thanks for reply

Gary

Ah, Lucas the Prince of Darkness strikes again, yet another reason why I totally re-wired by Disco removing all the electronics save the window unit which I relocated from its inaccessable location from below the glove box to behind the window switch panel in the center console. My interior lights never worked correctly, now the door switches are there only to block off the holes and it only works on the manual switch - easy fixed :glare:

Wiring removed -

Front and rear Sunroof looms,

Front headlight adjustment.

Airbag wiring

Anti-lock breaking.

Heated seat looms

CD loom.

Electric heaters for the side mirrors (not required in Oz.- no aussie drivers seem to bother using them anyway so why should I bother :hysterical: )

Electric heated windscreen loom (I use the A/C to demist)

loom for sub-woofer and speakers (my sub-woofer is a K4.5 and he sits in the rear on top of the double sleeping bag and self inflatable double matress)

The final loom is 1/2 the size it was and the number of fuses reduced, for example only one 15 amp rated wire to the rear stop lights, one wire to the rear fogs lights and reversing lights, one 20 amp lead the both high beam head lights off the same fuse - no relay, 15 amp lead the low beam.

You should be able to test for a faulty earth by removing one of the door switches and testing for continuity between the wire and body earth.

Thanks for that , I was scratching my head a bit trying to work out how to check if the wire was chaffed .

Boydie , you have sorted your loom out ! Hopefully I just need to find a chaffed wire or the mfu

Cheers

Gary

Hi

Was starting to wonder if I was going to get a reply lol.

My rear wiper does sometimes not work , apart from that everything seems fine except for the interior lights .

Where is the multifunction unit located and is it a simple plug in job ?

I guess I better have a look with a test lamp and see if an earth wire is chaffed

It sounds like you had a lot wrong with yours ,glad you got it sorted and thanks for reply

Gary

Hi

The MFU is plugged into the back of the interior fuse box, behind the panel under the steering wheel. The most difficult part of this job for me was getting the 2 bolts out that secure anchor the fuse bix. I think they are 8mm heads and the space in which to get at them is very limited, especially if you have big hands like me. Once you have the fuse box undone, it's straight forward. You just unplug the cable from the back of the MFU and then unplug the MFU itself from the fuse box.

My Discovery is a 1997 so was one of the later ones and the MFU that is fitted in mine was apparently only used for the last 18 months of production. Mine is a cream coloured one, but in earlier models they used a black one. If it's of any use to you the part number for the later cream coloured one is AMR 5360. I could only find 2 on Ebay that were in this country, so I bought both of them in case I found either of them had also been faulty!

Hi Toadeebee,

Thanks for that , I'll have a test of the wires and if all is well I'll have a look at the mfu .

The disco has just passed it's mot ( after a weldathon !!) so will be picking it up tomorrow to do a few little jobs and get back on the road for the start of February .

Cheers

Gary