110 or 90?

PaddyMac

Not this nice man from Oxfordshire, he has other Discovery racers! ;-)

As much as I enjoy hooning through French villages at full opposite lock on tarmac, I'm not sure that a Land Rover would be my starting point if I wanted to build a tarmac rally car.

You also need to be aware that to get a Land Rover logbooked for stage rallying could be challenging. Engines with over 4cyls are only allowed as exceptions and the MSA are not all that keen on Land Rovers rallying in the first place.

Off road for rallying/Racing, 110 is easier to handle and better in the rough, but 90 is a fair bit lighter.

Thanks for the reply's guy's....it was a debate that came about after a few beers discussing the Armed Forces Rally Team that was reviewed recently in a magazine together with the launch of the recent Bowler Defender.

My mate has a v8 engine, 110 that he uses for off-road events with a front external and rear internal roll cage, sports seats and harness, excellent suspension etc. It has the engine cutoff switches (internal and external) fitted, he figured if he looked into the regulations required here in Ireland to compete that maybe we could bring it up to the spec required, save the fee & enter a few local rally's.

The reason for the question was also because he has a 90 that he use to drive that equally could be made to race or used a parts etc. We googled rally, rallyraid and found a bunch of 110's which led use to believe that on tarmac maybe the 90 and if we decided to try rally/cross the 110 would be the better starter.

So far it's beer talk but you never know.

Again cheers for advice....

The Discovery - named Discofairy for some unknown reason was originally built in 2002 and did a few hillrallies and a couple of stage rallies. It then sat unused for nearly 10 years before I bought it. We rebuilt the 3.9 engine which was lightened and balanced and then megasquirted it. The rollcage was modernised ready to race in France and fitted nice new Milner Varidamp shocks, but unfortunately my circumstances changed and we never managed to race it at all. It sat in a garage for a year. A new project had started so I decided to sell her to fund a nice 6 speed sequential gearbox for the new car. The new owner raced her in France at the Rally Plaines et Vallees where it finished and he received a trophy :)

This is the new project - Can you guess what it's going to grow up to be?

IMAG04141_zps3bb40b84.jpgIMAG04151_zps538d536f.jpg

Most Defenders already have a bias valve on the back axle. You could replace that with an adjustable one.

http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/race/brake-bias-adjusters-balance-bars/jjc-screw-type-brake-bias-valve

£35 from JJC race and rally.

On the Discofairy we had vented 110 discs and calipers on the front and standard on the rear, we kept the standard bias valve.