disco rear brake pads

turbomangler

Hi I was told yesterday that its possible to fit later rear brake pads into 200 series disco calipers to stop the pads dropping.

The existing pin holes in the caliper need to be enlarged and the appropriate pads and pin kit fitted so the pins pass thru the pad instead of just cover them.

I have just done the same job on my front calipers,

WHAT I need to know is what model land rover the pads I need for the rear calipers are fitted to as standard then I can get a set ordered . I was told possibly 110 fitted with Salisbury rear axle ???

Has anyone already done this modification and can tell me the pads and pin kit I need ??

Look forward to your comments. Steve.

Later ones are the same, only the front pads had the pins and springs, and as far as them falling out goes, perhaps a bit better attention on the weekly checks?

I am sure to check mine weekly when I do my tyre pressures.

This "modification" sounds more like save your a$$ when they are down to the metal, not exactly inspiring of routine inspections and maintenance.

Ok bollocking over for not doing my weekly inspections. And yes i am a tight arse and try to save money !!

I,m pretty sure that later calipers will not fit early axles as the bolt sizes are different so will not fit without doing " dangerous modifications" by drilling the mounting holes to suit the different size bolts !! Thats not what i wanted to do anyway.

Now back to my original question . Does anyone know of the rear pads i need ??? As the disco i was looking at yesterday had this " modification " done. Steve.

Are you sure there different bolt sizes for the older send later style of cailipers??, they are on earlier RR's, imperial and then later metric, didn't think the discos 1's were? I in no way want to sound a kill- joy but ' DIY modified brakes' and then an accident , you'll have the book thrown at you

1998 D1 rear caliper from a 3.9 V8

Rustiesnewbrakediscs006_zps10d08b88.jpg

Identical pad fitting to the ealier 1992 D1 caliper, yes it is correct that the later calipers have larger bolts, this change was made at the same time as they moved to 24 spline with metric sizes.

Not sure of pin spacing but is it possible they are simply ground back front pads from a later model? The front calipers on that 1998 D1 had those type pads with springs and pins.

Ok i,m talking about enlarging an hole out by possibly 1mm i,ve been in engineering i n one form or another for almost thirty years and i have no hesitation about doing this. On the other had how many people on this forum are driving about in landys with waffer thin and badly patched up chasiss/rear cross members and don,t even bat an eyelid about it . Now thats an accident waiting to happen.

I am 100% happy to do this mod so no more negativaty please

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE PADS I AM LOOKING FOR ???

Ok i,m talking about enlarging an hole out by possibly 1mm i,ve been in engineering i n one form or another for almost thirty years and i have no hesitation about doing this. On the other had how many people on this forum are driving about in landys with waffer thin and badly patched up chasiss/rear cross members and don,t even bat an eyelid about it . Now thats an accident waiting to happen.

I am 100% happy to do this mod so no more negativaty please

DOES ANYONE KNOW THE PADS I AM LOOKING FOR ???

Re-read my last post.

All Discovery 1s had the same pads!

Try these, our old works 110 used to eat them regularly.

http://britishparts.co.uk/products/5715-brake-pad-kit-rear-SFP000280