Alternator problem?

Hi all,

After 15 minutes driving today, my battery light started to flicker on and then stayed on, and will only go off at high revs. I checked battery voltage and it was 12.7 off, 12.5 at idle... The light comes on with just ignition on.

Probably unrelated, but also today whilst driving the power cable to the fuel pump popped off (the roads are bumpy round here!) so it ground to a halt while idling but easily solved.

Its a 1986 110 with 300tdi conversion.

Any ideas what this problem might be would be most appreciated.. is it the alternator??

Cheers.

It's definately not charging then...

Alternator does sound suspect - I'm just wondering if the brushes fail open then would this leave the charge light on or off? Not sure - off probably.

Which means the flickering is difficult to explain; I normally expect rectifiers & regulators to go with a pop!

I guess all you can do is check the connections and then throw a new one on it. I'd check the voltages on the back of the alternator to see if it's a wiring problem.

All the wiring looks fine, I suspect its the diodes or something... So, I am planning to order a new alternator and probably a 100amp one as in the future I am planning to split charge to two batteries.

I've read elsewhere that I would need to double up the brown wire to the starter motor is that correct? Are there any other changes that I should do at the same time?

Cheers,

Luke

New regulator (incl brushes) for an A127 less than £10 incl postage. Complete repair kit (regulator, brushes, rectifier, slip rings and bearings) <£25 on Ebay, compete with instructional video.

Suggest that you check the earths and tidy up as necessary and, if your alternator is fitted with a sense wire make sure trhat it connects to the battery via a low current path