if were talking defenders then they have never been type approved, hence why its legal to make your own major componets, suspension etc.

Hang on a minute, I just read that a couple of times and I think I must either be misunderstanding the definition of type approval or missing the point entirely.

Could you run that by me again working with the assumption that I has the dumb today?

Courtesy of wikipedia -

Vehicle Type Approval is the confirmation that production samples of a design will meet specified performance standards.[1] Traditionally, there are two systems of Type Approval in Europe. The first one bases on the EC Directives and regulates the approval of whole vehicles, vehicle systems, and separate components. The second one is part of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe regulations (UNECE) and also regulates the approval of whole vehicles, vehicle systems, and separate components. Recent changes to the requirements have seen the General Safety Regulation (GSR) EC661/2009 amending Directive 2007/46/EC by substituting the equivalent UNECE Regulations in place of the EC Directives. In effect the Directives are being replaced by UNECE Regulations. This now makes compliance with the UNECE Regulations for Type Approval submissions compulsory from 1 November 2012 and compulsory for all vehicles entering to service from 1 November 2014.

This means that aftermarket manufacturers have to meet the minimum standard (one company I can think of fails in that respect :) ).

You can make components yourself, and could argue that they meet or exceed type approval. A crossmember made with thicker metal, seam welded wherever there is a join, would obviously exceed type approval.

Les.