Replace autobox solid pipe with flexible? 1989 RR Classic

Dibnah

Well I found out where the auto fluid had gone, solid pipe corroded through just before the entry into the radiator. I think I can remove the existing flexible hose and replace with a longer section of flexible hose, however I'll be securing it with two jubilee clips at each end. Flexible pipe should be OK, but possible that jubilee clips might not hold flexible pipe onto existing solid pipe. Has anyone been successful with something like this before?

yes, and with very little sucsess, on the Anne Beadell track in WA.

One of the connections on the oil cooler broke due to the constant vibrations (200mm high corrugations for 780 kilometres) I had no option but to hacksaw the fittings off the solid pipes and by-pass the cooler with a length of hydraulic hose - with two hose clamps for each connection, all was okay until the oil temperature - and pressure - got up to normal and blew the hoses off, if you're going to go the way of full flex hose go to pirtech or somesuch hydraulic hose company and get a set made up with properly swaged fittings.

I've been winch challenging for a bit with 3/8 rubber hose and one clip at each end. But I shouldn't think I ever go into lock-up. A proper hydraulic is going to be fit and forget, so worth the money.

If you don't want to do the while length, go back to a decent non-corroded piece of steel pipe and fit an olive crimp. It's a fair fix and is how we plan to sort the ACE lines on the Disco2.

I would check the price of a new pipe, as it might not be insane?

If you can find one near you, there are companies who make steel pipes up as easily as I would take a wiz. Hydraline in Cannock is one. They made me a stainless 1" bent pipe to pattern frighteningly easily :)

Thanks for the quick replies. I need to move the RR about 30 yards onto a vehicle lift. If I've understood the gearbox correctly, it will only generate maximum pressure when it has locked into 4th gear, which won't happen in the 30 yards. I'll try the jubilee clips!

Slight change of plan, ended up cutting both bits of existing flexible pipe and fitting a bit of solid pipe using 2 jubilee clips at each end, Radiator is now bypassed (for the autofluid), Have seen complete replacement pipes/hoses (feed and return) on that internet for £60ish for Disco with autobox, they look similar to what I need.. Doesn't leak with the engine at fast idle in neutral (so pressure low, although it was spraying out previously with the fractured pipe at idle in neutral).

Need to get the RR onto a vehicle lift for good access.

• 3 weeks later...

Adding this for info: it would appear that the fluid pressure in the pipes to the cooler is approx 30psi, from here http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.php/194502-Range-Rover-Auto-Gearbox-Replacement!-EEEEK!!

One jubilee clip is OK with 40psi in my experience, but on a slightly flared pipe.

The pipes are each in 2 sections, 4 parts in total. I can get 3 parts but not NRC 9868. Parts are:

NRC 9868

NRC 9869

NRC 9870

NRC 9871

I might use flexible over the whole length, with manufactured fittings at each end,

• 2 weeks later...