Engine / Gearbox Mounts. Opinions Please

I recently read an article about engine/gearbox mounting rubbers causing severe vibrations. Even some genuine ones. The solution seemed to be mounts from Glencoyne Engineering, which seemed to be made from a softer grade of rubber.

Granted this problem was with a 200TDi, which will naturally be far vibier than my RV8. All the mounts on mine are new but appear to be the harder type (as im unable to deflect the rubber strip in the middle of the mount with my thumb) although they are not Britpart.

Would it be worth my while swapping them out now, or is the smoother V8 not afflicted with this problem?

Its probably my thread you've read about the mounts.

I'm swapping my "Genuine" mounts for Glencoyne mounts on a 2.5td 19j engine this weekend.

I'll let you know how different they are but put it this way, the Landy is undriveable for more than a few miles as it is. The vibration through the car very noticeable at tickover and while it isn't quite so noticeable when the speed/revs pick up it becomes a low pitch drone instead which makes my head feel like its about to explode. It really would drive me mad to be in there for more than about 15 mins..

The new mounts was a real step backwards in the cabin comfort stakes for me and I'm praying when I put in the Glencoyne versions I'll be able to hear the engine again.

i reckon on 2hrs to change them over and the Glencoyne versions cost about £27 all in. Got to be worth it.

The RV8 is a different story entirely though. Have you looked at other mounts for RV8 derived cars - such as the TVR.

I have a Griffith and have uprated mounts in that a) because of the torque and b) because of the heat as the exhaust manifolds are literally inches from the mounts.

These are the mounts I have in the Griffith

http://www.sc-power.co.uk/pages/sc-power-engine-mounts.html

I snapped the rubber bushes on my v8 110, I eventually made some new chassis mounts utilising the nice P38 V8 engine mounts to sit my 500kg cummins on, they seem to be working well taking the weight so shouldn't be a problem for the lightweight v8 and absorb the vibes off the six pot diesel very well.

post-47238-0-41203300-1394793299_thumb.jpg

post-47238-0-01492500-1394793319_thumb.jpg

post-47238-0-76343600-1394793338_thumb.jpg

The new mounts was a real step backwards in the cabin comfort stakes for me and I'm praying when I put in the Glencoyne versions I'll be able to hear the engine again.

i reckon on 2hrs to change them over and the Glencoyne versions cost about £27 all in. Got to be worth it.

The vibration through the car very noticeable at tickover and while it isn't quite so noticeable when the speed/revs pick up it becomes a low pitch drone instead which makes my head feel like its about to explode. It really would drive me mad to be in there for more than about 15 mins..

I done mine last weekend after suffering for over 7 months and 13000kms on "genuine" mounts that were terrible.

Took less than1hr to swap them, all is very easily accessible (on standard defender )and i even took both props off to make sure i didnt stress anything (but dont think i really need to take them off).

change them you wont be disappointed