Leaking rear wheel

So it seems to be one thing after another, and this time it's mechanical not electrical. On my passenger side rear wheel there is a fluid running over the tyre and the alloy. It seems to be kind of thick, I tried to wash it off with hot soapy water and a sponge and it was giving up easy. My original thought was brake fluid thinking there's no other fluid at the rear of the car but obviously I realise I'm wrong. Where's best to start in working out what the fluid is or where it's coming from? After I work that out I will need to see if it's a job I will be capable of doing. I'm not terrible working with my hands I'm just new to working on cars!

Cheers

Stephen

Most likely it'll be axle oil or grease from the wheel bearings passing the inner hub seal.

In order to change the seal, the wheel, brake caliper, half shaft, and hub will have to be removed. You will need a a 1/2" or 13mm 12 point socket, 17,27 and a box spanner or 52mm socket. You will have to set the wheel bearing preload once its nailed back together.

It's all covered in the Defender Haynes manual.