Pulley alignment

Briarston

Hi all. Can anyone advise?

My 2A project, 12volt, 2.1/4 petrol has a three groove crank pulley as fitted to the 24v versions.

From what I can find, the smaller inner pulley should drive the water pump/fan, but these are not

in line. The water pump pulley is actually in line with the centre larger pulley, which would normally

be used with one of the twin belts driving the 24v. alternator.

There seems to be a miss match of parts somewhere, but I am not sure where. As far as I can find

the water pump seems to be correct. I don't need the three groove crank pulley and was wondering

if replacing it with the "ordinary" single pulley would put things into line.

I think the engine could be a later version, as it has a timing pointer on the front cover. I can't see a

plate on the flywheel housing which the hand book refers to.

If anyone can offer advice/solution to this problem I would be very grateful!

What water pump pulley have you got? The FFR water pump pulley is different to the 12v pulley. The flange position on the FFR and 12v water pumps is the same dimension on both, so you can have an FFR timing case and pump running with civvy pulleys and the pulleys will line up.

What water pump pulley have you got? The FFR water pump pulley is different to the 12v pulley. The flange position on the FFR and 12v water pumps is the same dimension on both, so you can have an FFR timing case and pump running with civvy pulleys and the pulleys will line up.

Hello, thanks both for the input.

Phil, this is something to investigate. I don't know what w/p pulley is fitted at the moment. The dynamo was only loosely fitted, without a belt.

The PO must have had a problem in this area also.

Are you saying that there is a deeper dished version of the water pump pulley which will bring the belt groove closer to the water pump?

I never compared the FFR pulley with a 12v pulley as regards groove position but the FFR pulley is for an A section belt and the 12v pulley is Z section like civvy but double groove, the extra groove is in front of the 'civvy' position.

Std pulleys 12v,

double groove Z section crank pulley, water pump pulley and dynamo/alternator pulley

Std pulleys 24v,

Triple groove, 2 x A section & a smaller 1 x A section crank pulley. 1 x A section groove water pump pulley. 2 groove A section alternator pulley. 1 x A section groove water pump tensioner pulley.

So as you say that the crank pulley is 3 groove it will need changing due to the groove size being bigger than your belt.

Oh your flywheel housing sounds like the externally ribbed type fitted on series 3.

Hi.

Thanks again!

Better idea of what to look for now. I'm not a stranger to the infernal combustion engine

but readily admit to being new to the finer points of LR's mix and match.

BTW, the flywheel housing does have ribs, so series 3 retro fit as suspected.

Regards

Jim