New Front Arms

LowRanger

What bumpstops and tyre size are you running, exactly?

I have 1" extended bumpstops front (IIRC), and with a 3 link and short dampers to limit the available articulation, I found the tire (34" and 36") to hit the spring perch before worrying about bumpstops.

Even going with external mounts (which I've been thinking to do for years) wouldn't solve the issue.

I'm glad those arms work well and you're happy with them.

Michele

The bumpstops have been adjusted to suit the requirements. and are extended more than an inch.The tyres are 35/12.5/16 on -25mm offset rims Although the tyres measure closer to 36".The fronts clear no problem,the rears still touch the rear spring perches but only enough to polish the perches :rolleyes:

Regards

Wayne

The gwyn Lewis mounts are supposed to use these dampers:

926560 - Pin mount at top / pin mount at bottom

27.07" extended, 15.94 collapsed, 2.36" body diameter

The 14" travel damper must have an impressively short closed length to fit in that 16" gap

I guess there is a difference between "supposed" and "what is cheap and readily available to the masses"

I was running OME 60070L shocks on these mounts before they were available in the UK.I waited 3 months to get the first set that were available to the public,so I know a little about them.

The shocks are still pin/pin and no fouling anywhere ;)

Regards

Wayne

If you were to remove your extended bump stops what would be the next restriction to up travel? Would it be damper bottoming out or tyre hitting inner arch, or spring going coil bound, or something else perhaps?

If you were to remove your extended bump stops what would be the next restriction to up travel? Would it be damper bottoming out or tyre hitting inner arch, or spring going coil bound, or something else perhaps?

It would be the damper topping out

So if you had some mounts which were taller you could get more up travel? The overall travel would be the same of course unless you have some restriction to droop at present. But you would gain some stability

So if you had some mounts which were taller you could get more up travel? The overall travel would be the same of course unless you have some restriction to droop at present. But you would gain some stability

With the size of the tyres that are fitted,and the mounts that are fitted and the length of the shocks that are fitted,I am at the limit of up travel,which is fine,because I can fully stuff the 35's into the wheel arches.

By changing the shock towers for either taller or lower,and fitting different shocks as well as different(smaller) tyres,you could change the up/down travel to suit your particular needs.The one thing is that with the down travel,the limiting thing will be as Bill has already mentioned the angularity on the drag link balljoint.

Hey Wayne,

just found your replies, thanks.

I can't remember how tall the bumpstops are mine, but I also run a set of 36" (although it's been a while, sob!),

and a quick comparison is always interesting.

I asked about the lenght of the arms because while lifting the vehicleto a certain level it would be useful to slightly increase the lenght of the arm to restore the wheelbase, another company does it and it would be a bonus if those guys in Oz would contemplate to do the same.

Michele

The bumpstops have been adjusted to suit the requirements. and are extended more than an inch.The tyres are 35/12.5/16 on -25mm offset rims Although the tyres measure closer to 36".The fronts clear no problem,the rears still touch the rear spring perches but only enough to polish the perches :rolleyes:

Regards

Wayne

Hey Wayne,

just found your replies, thanks.

I can't remember how tall the bumpstops are mine, but I also run a set of 36" (although it's been a while, sob!),

and a quick comparison is always interesting.

I asked about the lenght of the arms because while lifting the vehicleto a certain level it would be useful to slightly increase the lenght of the arm to restore the wheelbase, another company does it and it would be a bonus if those guys in Oz would contemplate to do the same.

Hi Michele

What has happened here is that people are finally beginning to see the light and not raise the vehicles beyond what is really required.All the guys with the 5-6" lifted trucks have either rolled the vehicles or have had them defected by the Police or Department of Motor Transport.So people are starting to go the low and wide path with their vehicles and reducing the lift which has also meant that with the Land Rovers,that you can fit 36" tyres under the guards with only a 2" lift and minimal effect on wheel base.Having said that,there may be the possibility of some longer rear arms on the horizon,but that will possibly be dependent on the interest shown.The other problem is that the market here in Australia is fairly small for Land Rovers,this is a country full of Japanese vehicles.And the company that is making the arms is only doing so due to the fact that their engineer (Greg) is a Land Rover fan and wanted to offer the Land Rover guys something similar to what they have been offering the Japanese vehicles for 5 or so years.So small market with small engineering company means that they target their largest audience to get their product out on the market.Unfortunately that means that small niche markets cant be initially covered.

Regards

Wayne

I hear you.

I wish those guys good luck, maybe expanding their business outside of the island, just like Maxidrive did the in the golden years.

Well that is the power of the internet these days.People from all over get to see the products and can purchase from overseas.

I will try and get the Engineer and guy that designed and made the products to drop in here if I can,He will be able to answer any questions anyone has I am sure.

There is a long running thread on AULRO regarding the development of these arms if anyone wants to look,there are some pics of my vehicle and a few pics of some others that have now purchased the products since mine was first shown.

Regards

Wayne

I plan to finish my D90 with a cage (the day I'll find a job again) and some external shock mounts,

but if I had to start again I'd surely consider those arm as nice alternative to my 3-L kit.

I plan to finish my D90 with a cage (the day I'll find a job again) and some external shock mounts,

but if I had to start again I'd surely consider those arm as nice alternative to my 3-L kit.

Unfortunately with new regulations here,it is nearly impossible to register a vehicle with a 3Link front here.That was part of the reason behind these arms,to give people the ability to get a lot more front suspension travel,whilst maintaining driveability and being able to legally (with the fitting of swaybars with quick disconnects) register the vehicle for on road use.

And yes I would like an external cage as well,unfortunately another thing that is a huge expense down here!!

Regards

Wayne

Unfortunately with new regulations here,it is nearly impossible to register a vehicle with a 3Link front here.That was part of the reason behind these arms,to give people the ability to get a lot more front suspension travel,whilst maintaining driveability and being able to legally (with the fitting of swaybars with quick disconnects) register the vehicle for on road use.

And yes I would like an external cage as well,unfortunately another thing that is a huge expense down here!!

Regards

Wayne

I am not familiar with the procedure regards registration, Wayne. The arms have been submitted to the relevant authorities for approval. Does that mean that the purchaser is not required to pay an engineer to sign off on their fitment ? Any follow up inspection by the roads authorities required ?

I am not familiar with the procedure regards registration, Wayne. The arms have been submitted to the relevant authorities for approval. Does that mean that the purchaser is not required to pay an engineer to sign off on their fitment ? Any follow up inspection by the roads authorities required ?

You still need to present the arms to the relevant authorities, Bill.But the arms have the appropriate paperwork available,that you can present to your engineer with all the required information for them to just sign off on them,as long as there is a sway bar fitted.The same has been done for the arms fitted to Nissans and Toyotas,so the product is well known,just a different application,