abs light and soft pedal

sixtwoeight

Hello all,

Im in the middle of sorting the rot at the ends of the sills out and body mountings......Whilst im doing that I am trying to gather some info into the brakes situation before I start on them.

The pedal is very soft but the brakes do work - although obviously wouldn't trust them - The brake fluid reservoir is upto level and I cant see any leaks. I will try bleeding the brakes first (surely though air can only get in if there are leaks??). Also will check vacuum leaks on servo, but those two things are about as far as I have thought.

Also the abs light is on -havnt a clue where to start looking on that.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

What age disco? There is a blink test you can do on both early and late type. As for the pedal, it could be numerous things, does it feel spongy? That would indicate air in the system. Could also be the master cylinder has perished internally. If you are bleeding the brakes, then change the fluid completely while doing so, may help as fluid absorbs water over time. Most manufacturers recommend changing the fluid every 2-3 years because of this, and also it helps preserve the seals. If it was the servo, then the pedal would be hard, not soft.

I'd change out your master cylinder for your brakes, sounds like its bipassing, that or its not been bled and got air in the system. Try bleeding if not improvment, change the cylinder, its an easy job.

They do go, I've had to change the master's on most of the trucks I've owned at some point.

Thanks for the reply maverick, will do what you suggest.

Anyone any ideas on abs light?

Have searched for blink test, but no results?

edit: found info on blink test, also seems the wheel sensors can play up if not in correct position and or clean, so now have a starting point.

Thanks

My ABS comes on for:

dodgy wheel bearings,

worn brake pads/discs,

spongy brakes

siezed pots,

rusted back box

earth faults

ARB links

worn shock bushes

etc

Basically if theres something wrong the About to Brake Soon light comes on, once its fixed it goes out and occasionally I need to clean the sensors and reseat them.

• 2 weeks later...

With all the welding done (for now!) I've replaced the master cylinder to try and cure the very spongy pedal with excessive travel, but to no avail. I am not convinced that the brakes are bleeding very well though. The rears are especially bad, the fluid wont flow out of the bleed nipple. I have got ABS, and I have read that it need a dealer to bleed due to the ABS solenoid valves???? So the pedal is slightly better but it still doesn't feel as good as I would expect..

Anyone know how to bleed with ABS. ( I was using a pressure bleeder, but the fluid didn't flow through into the reservoir so air was drawn in)

Any ideas anyone..

• 2 months later...