P38 brake fluid leak

Dobby84

Hello everyone. New to Land Rove and the RR P38.

Been driving it a few days until the brake fluid warning came up on the dash. On closer inspection the fluid squirts out of the pipe that runs over the rear diff. There are 2 pipes and its the larger (top) shown in th pic that is leaking. It has split ner the top right bend.

suby3u4a.jpg

Ive been searching the internet for part numers and replacements but can seem to find this pipe.

Any help would be great guys. Cheers

As far as I am aware it should be a brake pipe and a brake wear sensor cable which run to either side of the axle (on some P38 later I think, the wear sensor cables and brake pipes come down near the ends of the axles, this look like an earlier setup).

I am assuming the hole is in the rigid section of the pipe going over the top of the diff from your description, in which case I wouldn't bother trying to get a new pipe as a specific pipe. If you are reasonable mechanically competent buy a brake pipe flaring tool, some brake pipe and some unions and make up a replacement your self, if you don't fancy making up the pipe yourself then take the old one off and take it to any competent garage who will be able to make you a replacement for a few pounds.

It would probable be a good idea to have a good look over the rest of the vehicle as well to check for any other corrosion. That level of corrosion on a brake pipe should be an MOT fail as well so if you got the vehicle recently and it came with a new MOT it might be worth having a word with the testing station, muttering about ministry testing stations etc might get you a discounted repair if they missed something like that.

If you remove the offending pipe and take it to a decent motor-factors or hydraulics-workshop they will be able to make up a replacement with the correct threads on the unions at the ends. They should be able to make up "Kunifer" pipes which are much more resistant to corrosion than the factory-spec plumbing.

If this pipe's failed you really really really should look at all the other hard-lines in the braking system: as others have observed, rot in the brake-pipes to the extent you've experienced ***should*** have been identified at the last MOT. That it hasn't would make me deeply anxious.