Front prop

JeffR

MMmm

Tried that. The socket catches the yoke and jams...Yep the thin Snap-On one, That's why I said 1/ 4" drive

works for me, using my halfords pro 9/16 socket and 3/8" wobble extension, not just on my series but all land rovers i have worked on. i have one wheel off the ground and handbrake off, out of CDL etc and i never have a problem, can sometimes be tight to get the socket off again but simply turning the prop makes it easy to remove

Can't you just turn the prop? Especially with one wheel off the ground, pop it in neutral and job's much easier...

Yup, that's fine for putting them back on, however, the bloody rock ape that put them on before me musta used a 1inch windy gun, cos they were an absolute tw@t to get off even using long spanners.

Never mind it's all done now.

I did work out why it failed, lack of grease. Went through my box of busted bits (I really have to bin busted bits) and low and behold, the 4 knackered uj's all failed on the same arm of the spider - if you place the spider flat on a bench with the grease nipple at 2 o clock, it was the bearings at 9 0 clock. That is the one furthest from the nipple,I wonder if fitting another nipple diagonally opposite the standard one would help longevity.