Wiring in a heated front screen.

JonR

I see than some of you have said your getting your heated screen through insurance... Does this mean you have not had one before but have one now?

I have commercial motor trader insurance and the glass is not covered.

I have had a quote from local independant at £195.00+VAT fitted. he did a non heated screen for 95 all in a while ago....

Anyone got any cheaper ?

• 3 years later...

I have not long had a heated windscreen fitted and I wired it up myself, this is how I did it:

I used a 70amp relay a carling switch and 30a thick cable from a maxi fuse in an auxillary fuse box under the bonnet, this box takes its power from a second battery on a split charge system!

the carling switch activates the relay which sends the current through on end of the screen and the other end is also 30a cable to a good earth point! although on testing the screen the earth wire got warm! not enough to cause alarm but I may upgrade the wiring to an heavier gauge.

I do not have a rear heated window anymore as it is sealed off for security so I am trying to use the dash light for the rear heated window for the windscreen instead but the current draw is too much for the small wiring of the lamp, and although it works the screen will not heat up properly as the flow is restricted by the lamp in the chain! any ideas anyone?