10 spline, 24 spline or something else?

Mongrel

I've been using my tatty but deeply loved 200 tdi for off roading and am now beginning to look at doing punch hunts and maybe a winch challenge or two...onceI get the winch bolted on!

So then...are the 24 spline shafts and diffs really appreciably stronger? If so, how much hassle is involved in swapping my 200 Tdi Disco items out for 24 spline? I am toying with the idea of diff lockers, but some makes aren't available for 10 spline, or are £100 more for the same thing! I then get into the thoughts of whether it's worth buying an Ashcroft built/recon'd diff with locker fitted as part of the build up. Thoughts please. At the moment I'm only playing, it is rapidly getting more expensive/serious/ absorbing!

The other option is to use somebody like Ashcroft for a tailored set up...but that looks REALLY expensive. Still undecided on air lockers or Detroit too so opinions on that won't be unappreciated either.

Much stronger. The rear diff is easy, something like 24 bolts to remove drive flanges, prop and diff. the front is slightly more difficult, for a diff swap I pull the 4 prop bolts, the 7 bolts holding each swivel to the axle and then pull the diff out. fun bit is getting the shafts back in! As you're changing to newer splines you'll have to pull the callipers off and hang them up, then dismantle the swivels to extract the CV and shaft before swapping over an rebuilding.

You could of course just change the rear until you need to rebuild the swivels anyway...