Is this knackered?

Shackleton

I think it's wise to replace it regardless but I'd like to know for future ref. Am I right in saying the discolouration around the top weep hole means the bearings are going? It moves freely but it's a little stiff.

But the P.S. pump is also stiff, should they both be really smooth, almost freewheeling? The PS reservoir doesn't loose any fluid at all. Should I put grease into the drive between the PS pump and water pump?

Any tricks to cleaning the housing behind the PS pump would be deadly :)

IMAG0248.jpg

IMAG0249.jpg

IMAG0250.jpg

For future reference, I recovered a badly leaking water pump in situ on my 2.25 engine by removing fan and pulley, discarding the

pump bearing grub screw and with two tyre levers, pulling the shaft and impeller forward about half a mm. Worked a treat for 12 months til a stick severed my bottom radiator hose causing the engine to overheat and soften the water pump seal spring.

• Like 1