2.5na starter problems

Hello to all out there.

My starter has been playing up in that when the key is turned on there was just a click but when the key is turned back and forward the starter would eventually catch. I took the starter out as I could see the short earth cable on solenoid was rusty so it was replaced, I had a look at the brushes which were clean and OK looking. So I put the starter back in thinking easy fix that was, but it's not even clicking now.

She will start if the solenoid is crossed with a screwdriver. Can the solenoid be faulty, but work being crossed like this.There is power going to the spade terminal on the starter, I have the main live and two wires on the center post.

Anyone any thoughts as to what the trouble might be.

Hi that short wire is not an earth it's the main feed from solenoid to starter armechaur

When you cross it did you use the two threaded terminals if so don't

Use the one the battery bolts to and there should be a little spade terminal just above them and cross them together less sparks that way

If that works your problem lies in the wiring or ignition switch

Personally I would bench test starter motor /with jump leads put black one to body of motor red one to bat terminal on solenoid then

With a short peace of wire cross between bat terminal to that spade one if alls good it should spin up hope this helps.

Bob

that does sound like the solenoid is packing up Mark , as diggervan says test in situ by removing the smaller white/red wire from the blade terminal on the end of the solenoid , rather than a screwdriver , I use a short wire with a blade terminal onto the blade then touch the end to the battery side of the two large studs .

If it works normally it's a wiring fault - normally the switch module on the back of the steering lock. If it still shows the same click and nothing it's the solenoid.

Tdi and 2 1/4 and 2.5 diesel starters are all the same so will inter-change

hth

Steveb