35" on 96 Disco

JBs4wd

Hi

Just go my first Disco, 3.9l. Apart from the gaurd cut and lift, what is needed to fit 35" tyres under it? (any drive train strengthening etc)

Cheers

John

Big question - why 35's?

What do you want to achieve, what are you planning to do with it? And what type of tyre, how wide, do you care about steering lock? Rim offset?

Do you care about suspension flex? On road/off road performance?

In short:

With trimming you can fit 33's.

35's are likely to require a lift of some kind, either suspension, body or both.

Body lifts typically aren't favoured in the UK (popular with Jeeps in the US though). Are a PITA to fit and often make vehicles look completely stupid. And of course there is the argument they don't lift anything other than the body.

So you could just hack more body work away, although to be fair, they don't raise the C of G as much.

Suspension lifts are usually easier to fit and do lift the entire vehicle. But this does raise the C of G. Which can have adverse affects too.

Also cheap lift kits are generally not suspension improvements. Although if it's just the visuals you are after can work.

Things to consider.

35's will blunt performance and hammer mpg. Even a V8 might need a bit more pep, especially if an auto.

35's will make the vehicle massively over geared on the road and will also be affecting your low speed crawl speed in a low range. And not in a good way. You could swap in a different transfer box to solve the high range road driving, but you'll need a diff swap (axles) to solve the low range gearing.

35's will also be putting more strain on the axles and drivetrain. Diffs and half shafts are probably the weakest area. Likely ok on road, but off road you will end up breaking these (can be done with stock wheels and tyres!!!). And it will be a matter of "when", not "if".

Brakes. These won't work as well with 35's as they do with 29" standard tyres. Do you may need to refresh or uprate the brakes if you are doing lots of road miles. Even more so if an auto as you rely on them more.

Steering should cope, but will be under more stress, so might need refreshing sooner, as in a worn steering box will show itself straight away.

35's will also more more strain on wheel bearings and other bushes. Expect them to wear quicker, but what you'll find most likely is, they are ok now. Slap some 35's on and within 300-500 miles you'll be needing to refresh almost all of them.

But it all really comes down to the first questions - why and what for?

:)

PS - none of this means don't do. But mods should be done for a purpose and with an understanding.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your time.

I will eb doing some serious mud rock and sand driving. I have come from an 80 series nd where I go ( High country Victoria Australia) You need the 35's.

Have descided to do an axle swap. Out with the Disco axles and in wth the 80's. Once I start this I will put up a build page.

Cheers

JOHN

My Disco is on 35s Silverstone, actually, more 34ish when measured.

You feed at least a 3" lift. Mine sits on a 2" body lift and 1" suspension lift. I find it quite stable as it is.

You also need to trim the fenders heavily. If you're putting on the 80 series axle, you'd need not to worry on offset. But if you stick with LR axles, you need some good offset wheels.

DSCN00491.jpg

bob