HELP.! Stuck in Low range.

tombartley

Hi all,

I have a 2003 TD5 Auto Discovery.

I rarely use low range however when engaging it yesterday (with some difficulty) I now find that it's stuck there.

The lever now just flops back and forth between the low range and high range positions with no feeling of pressure at all.

I live in the bush a fair way from town so I'd like to try anything before arranging a tow.

Thanks in anticipation of any thoughts on the matter.

Tom

It's a fairly simple job to remove the centre console (2 screws in the bottom of the centre armrest and 2 screws up by the dash under the rubber mat), then remove the metal plate underneath it that the transfer and gear lever mounts to, this will allow you to see wthe bowden cable that should operate the hi/low and you should then see what's broken/come loose. Hopefully you can reattach the cable and lube it up but if not, you should be able to follow the cable down to the transfer box and find the hi/low shifter and manually move it back to the hi position.