Recondition my Ride....

as some of you know i've had a bit of a trip recently and Matilda has now done 300.000 miles and the transmission is VERY sloppy. Theres backlash everywhere. I'm going to get the trans box recon'd and the gearbox rebuilt (again!). Need some new Axles or at least the diffs rebuilding. Where to get the sailsbury recon'd ???

I want a new galv chassis fitting and bulkhead. Body off and everything repairing that can be repaired or recon'd. It might mean a new roof as tis one is leaking from the channels as i'm not sure its fixable. I might alse get a cage put on. The engine needs a rebuild i'd wager and completely stipping and everthing replacing thats almost certainly worn. oil pumps and stuff. You know what i mean. Turbo is OK. Steering box is good. Injection pump might need replacing as a measure.

How much do you reckon to get this all done ? Would £10k do a good job ? I of course need to save up for it and don't want to do it myself really. So labour is a factor.

I've toyed with getting a new Puma but the carnet would kill me for the next trip. I'd consider a low mileage ambulance if i could get one.

So what are you feellings on my silly ideas ? Any advice will be listened to and likely ignored as always but some thoughts might help me consider the way forward.

To build or to buy i suppose is the question. I've alread put £22k in Matilda over the last years no including the gear box incident in the USA.

Turner do a 300Tdi service exchange engine @ £2,300

Richards do a Galv chassis for £1,500

Ashtree do a Galv bulkhead for £800

Ashcroft LT230 £495

Ashcroft R380 £495

Ashcroft front diff rebuilt £255

Simonites will do a recon Salisbury for either £700 drum braked or £800 disc braked.

Roughly £6,500 for that little shopping list and then there will be the usual springs and shox to do and it will amaze you at the cost of the fasteners and the quantities, by the time you're done and factoring labor nto it then you won't really get much change out of £15,000 TBH, labor stacks up and unless you get a very sympathetic garage owner who has an empty workshop and all the tools to do it then it might be a case of going cheap but having to pay twice to get it done properly.

Amongst various other things the defence contractor I work for has a department which refurbishes 4x4 vehicles. Going from other work I don't think you'll see change from £30k if you use a reputable firm/one of the big names