Buying advice

jamietriner

Hi there guys,

My names Jamie and im new to this forum, need a little advice so i googled this forum up.

I bought a Lotus elise this spring and spent the summer enjoying driving it to the coast and having a blast with the roof off. Now the nights are drawing in and im in need of a bigger car. Ive had a Audi a4 avant in the past and enjoyed having space in the back for doing small jobs in. Not wanting to drive a van all day i plan to use a Discovery for a daily run around and to use for the odd small plumbing jobs i get in.

Ive always loved the looks of these 4x4's so i thought as there seems to be a lot of space in them that this could be a great choice. Sadly my budget is only around £12500. Ive been looking around and a 2005-2006 seems to be in my price range. But the millage on that price of Discovery im looking at has been around 80-90k.

My questions;

Are engines on these known to last a long time or am i buying into a world of hell. Ive been told there expensive to fix and the last thing i need is to be changing expensive parts of the car after buying it.

Is there any common fault with these that i should look out for?

Average price of a cam belt change?

Really interested in buying one, i didn't really want a van if i have to, but theres really no other cars i actually like.

Any information you have would be great!

Cheers

Jamie

hi im very old fashioned i do like the look of the disco 2 but would never buy one as i just do not find them as reliable as a disco 1, i know ill get shot down in flames , but there has been alot of guys i know who bought d 2 discoverys and spent alot of money fixing them , but for the money i would go for a d2 discovery 3 are rubbish too expensive to fix, and the disco 1 is the most reliable but rust issues, if i had that money id buy a 110 defender , :i-m_so_happy:

Allan, a Deafener :o wash your keyboad out immediately!!!!

D1 300Tdi in good condition and keep the rest for goodies to fit it out with, winch and winching bumper, nice set of tyres and have it given a full comprihensive service includingnew cambelt and you'll have a great motor for a long time.

The reason D3s are so cheap and in such an abundance is that folk can't affod the high running costs, brakes are not cheap, high miles mean things like wheel bearings and suspension bushings need done, also not cheap unless you do it yourself, even then parts prices vary wildly, and usually best fitting genuine for reliability and peace of mind, the electricals are beginning to fail and by many accounts the gremlins have sent a few to ealy graves due to high costs and complexities of the operating systems, the air suspension systems will need new bags soon enough as they will be right on the age limmit for them and will fail when you least expect them to. Failing that you are right, they are a great car to drive and a pleasant place to be, if you can afford it, that is.