series 3 fuel gauge

Springs

Check the earth connections in the circuit, and then pull the sender out of the tank if possible and have a look at the float arm, it may be damaged or broken.

The aftermarket senders are reasonably priced so replacement isnt a bad path to take. I had a britpart one once.. It was actually ok!

Lift out the drivers seat base and underneath is a plate held in with 6 screws, if you remove that, you can see the whole top of the fuel tank. From what you say, it sounds like the track on the sender is worn out and is only making contact when the float is at the top.

just to update, it was a nice and easy fix. Removed the plate that was under the seat and was presented by the wire that was just touching the connector. Looked a bit worn so i crimped on a new connector, plugged it in and turned on the battery and result. The fuel gauge started to rise :)

well it turns out that the sensor is still duff.. driving it around the gauge shows full for some time and then suddenly goes right down so i'm going to swap it out with a new one.

also i noticed on the top of the sender that there are 3 take offs. one was for the gauge but any ideas what the other 2 do?