Auto 200 bellhousing in 300

carlosbeldia

Good day.

A friend is trying to adapt a 300 engine in an ex-V8 auto. However, he can't find a 300 auto bellhousing (really not a common combination here in Colombia), but only have found a 200 auto bellhousing. Does it worth for the 300 or he have to keep looking? also, we can build it here, but we need some basic plans in order to make a correct piece. Is it possible to find those plans? thanks.

I thought the bell housings were the same and it was the engine back plate that was different, I have both types here so I can check for you regarding the bellhousings, but am pretty certain that the back plates are different.

Raining here, so it will be later I'm afraid.

The 300 is in my Discovery so I can't sell you that, the 200 is still assembled in rolling chassis, 300's are easier to come by over here as they had a much longer production run, the 200 auto was only introduced at the end of 200 production so are rarer items and of course they are 20 years old.

Still waiting for the rain to stop.

A visual inspection says the bell housings are the same, as Les brock says the rear crank oil seal is different on the 200 back plate so that is no good to you.

Ashcroft are still selling there defender 300tdi auto conversion so they undoubtedly have all the parts you require.

You also need to check which size torque convertor you have as the TDI bell housing uses the small torque convertor, the V8's the small or medium and the large was fitted to some of the 4.6 V8.

MD Engineering also do the conversion kit that will connect the 300Tdi to the V8 auto for around £700

The bell housing length on 200 and 300 was 160mm by my measuring and the back plate was 25mm thick on both, I measured a 4.6V8 bell housing I have and I got that to 190mm so the back plate and bell housing of the Tdi add up to the same approximate depth of the V8, I'm pretty sure the V8 bell housing bolts directly to the V8 block.

Ashcroft ship stuff all over the world so I think they are probably your best bet, if you can get a ZF tdi bell housing in Columbia that may save you some dollar.

Try emailing Ashcroft, telling them what you've got and what you want to do, they built be me a HP22 with a tdi valve block and 4.6 internals with a shorter rear end, they know there stuff.

Hope that helps.