Rimmer Brothers Stainless Exhaust

Very interesting. I have the tubular crossmember from the disco, along with it's y-pipe which annoyingly has cats.

I thought there we 2 silencers on the TD5 exhaust - a big one in the middle and then a smaller one at the end. Which are you using?

Thanks!

Nope. Disco v8 manifolds with matching non-cat downpipes that go into 1. Standard TD5 from there back. A little trimming of TD5 system at front.

Only utilising 1 silencer box so expecting it to be very fruity sounding.

Edit: Nige and Fridge tell me that these manifolds actually flow very well for standard cast manifolds. The only other thing to remember is that you must use the tubular type v8 gearbox crossmember. If you use the TD5 type the downpipes will foul. You may be able to butcher the TD5 crossmember for clearance but i just picked up a tubular crossmember from ebay for about a tenner.

Been there, done this on my old 90. I used RRC 3.9 non-cat down pipes which had to have a small amount trimmed off the rear end and the flange welded back on. The rear section was 100% std Td5 spec pipe, with both silencers. End result sounded superb from outside, yet still nicely refined from the driver's seat.

I used the gearbox x-member from a 1992 RRC V8 auto. It kicks up at the outer edges so the pipes pass below it. Original 90/110 spec V8s had the pipes running above the rectangular x-member.

I also had to add a plate at the lower edges to use the 90's original mounting holes. Defender chassis are a bit deeper than RRC/Disco ones.

Very interesting. I have the tubular crossmember from the disco, along with it's y-pipe which annoyingly has cats.

I thought there we 2 silencers on the TD5 exhaust - a big one in the middle and then a smaller one at the end. Which are you using?

Thanks!

You could remove the cats, if you have the means to do so, or just leave them there. I can't remember if there are issues with prop shafts and cat clearance though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Resurrecting a slightly old thread here but also been looking at the exhaust options for my bog standard 3.5 V8. I don't particularly want the tubular manifolds so thought about getting the following:

Discovery manifolds (to get the 4 into 2)

Discovery down pipes and Y-piece (to get the 2 into 1) like this http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-LR148

Then mate that to the standard V8 exhaust

Would this work or would it fowl on the gearbox crossmember? Is there any advantage in going for a TD5 exhaust from the Y-piece back rather than the standard V8 one?

• 4 weeks later...

Resurrecting a slightly old thread here but also been looking at the exhaust options for my bog standard 3.5 V8. I don't particularly want the tubular manifolds so thought about getting the following:

Discovery manifolds (to get the 4 into 2)

Discovery down pipes and Y-piece (to get the 2 into 1) like this http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-LR148

Then mate that to the standard V8 exhaust

Would this work or would it fowl on the gearbox crossmember? Is there any advantage in going for a TD5 exhaust from the Y-piece back rather than the standard V8 one?

Pete,

How did you get on with this ?

I too am thinking of doing exactly that with a bog standard V8 90 with the standard exhaust.