A couple of axle questions

greenstream

Hi

The Rover rearaxle housing - are they all the same ?

I know that the early RRC's hat the shockmounts placed differently from side to side, but apart from that.

If I look at alle the housings for Disc's from 80's til TD5 - are they alike ?

Next one. If I were to change my rearaxle on the 110" (Sallisbury with disc's). Could I go for a Rover typer rearaxle with a 4-pin diff from a Def. V8 - this mod in order to try and make it stronger ?

Thanks

Morten

The rover type axle will physically fit your 110 but officially it's not rated for the max weight you can put in a 110, realistically if you are beefing it up anyway there's no problem except if you have a crash someone with a clipboard and an inferiority complex may land you in trouble...

A better option is simply to fit a post 2002 110 rear axle which is the p38 type / wolf / short nose axle, these magically became officially rated for the weight and will bolt straight on

You will of course need to change your rear prop

HTH

Mike

I have a prefix 'A' rear axel under my 1972 buggy. The only change was two diff studs to fit a 24 spline diff. I assume the stub PCD is the same, but I haven't measured it.

Once upon a long time ago there was an ENV set up in the Forward Control 2B. Dad said you had to remove the stub axel to pull the half shaft, so there is bigger stuff out there. I have never looked into it's diff, but it seems unlikely there isn't a big diff to go with big shafts? But above post on post-2002 axel sounds too simple not to be the best solution.

I guess it's worth noting that the axel strength is down to tube thickness, so the later axel could look the same externally and be stronger? But equally plausible that they CFD'd it and decided it was okay :) (I'll vote for B)