If the Ramblers won't get us the Parish councils will...

SteveG

Whilst out doing a few lanes about 20mins away from where I live I bumped into one of the Rights of Way officers. Stopped to say hello and discuss recently erected sign..

GreenLane014Medium.jpg

It hasn't rained here for about 4-5 days here and again was clear blue skies today..

GreenLane005Medium.jpg

Seem that the local Parish council are complaining again. They want it downgraded to a bridleway and are citing damage by vehicles as the reason. Here's the entrance to the lane..

GreenLane001Medium.jpg

As you can see it's no only vehicles that are churning it up, it's horses too..

GreenLane002Medium.jpg

Problem is that horse aren't seen as spoiling their Sunday afternoon when some 4x4's go by their house. The County Council spent 1500 pounds repairing a section further up just over a year ago..

GreenLane003Medium.jpg

As you can see it's holding up well and shows that the lane isn't getting much use...

GreenLane004Medium.jpg

The lane does get rutted near the end as it opens up into the fields..

GreenLane009Medium.jpg

GreenLane010Medium.jpg

Deep enough on the right to have the diff dragging in the centre. This is made worse by water running down off the field, but as you can see there is still plenty of room to walk and ride for other users so I don't see why this would be an issue..

GreenLane013Medium.jpg

Lastly a few pics of the motor.. ;);)

GreenLane008Medium.jpg

GreenLane006Medium.jpg

County Council is not going to pay for more work to be done in the near future, so it looks like a temporary TRO will be the compromise with the Parish Council. Another lane lost from October to April. I can see the ROW's position about not causing damage by driving in the wet or when the ground is truly sodden but a TRO that covers 7 monthsof the year is not the answer.

Cheers

Steve

Sad to see it Steve....

I was out on some lanes in Herts on Sunday..

Some just finished with hedges where the lane used to be and one had been ploughed up by the farmer and the red arrow discs had been chisled off the post ! (Needless to say, after driving round looking for an alternative we were forced to cross the edge of the field for 50 metres or re-trace our steps - The GPS track is a bit of a laugh.. Looks like we were lost !)

So if they aren't closed officially, they are closing by stealth or through a lack of use !

(One even had a chained gate at one end !)

If you get some stone and want a hand to make repairs, drop me a message.... Would be glad to assist. Doesn't look like we are a million miles apart !

Neil.

Why not ask the council to give you some stone and get a group of 4x4 drivers to put the stone in the holes? It will show 4x4 drivers in a good light!

Paul

That's a good point Paul, and I'd like to do this as part of CRAG so that they get credit for it to. Who do I speak to about best way to approach and responses to cover off any health & safety issues that I expect the ROW will have. Having the correct response first time around and showing the work done by CRAG will create the best first impression.

Cheers

Steve

That's a good point Paul, and I'd like to do this as part of CRAG so that they get credit for it to. Who do I speak to about best way to approach and responses to cover off any health & safety issues that I expect the ROW will have. Having the correct response first time around and showing the work done by CRAG will create the best first impression.

Cheers

Steve

Treebloke on here is a RTL for CRAG like myself. But If you join CRAG and do it under the CRAG name then you can use the CRAG insurance. Theres all the paperwork in place for this sort of project. Theres a few members of CRAG on now as well :) .

The first thing it to find out if its a BOAT or UCR(ORPA) as BOATS are the ROW office and UCR(ORPA)s are Highways. Looking at the pics you would only need about 25T of stone. I will PM a phone number or send me one and we can talk.

Paul

Treebloke on here is a RTL for CRAG like myself. But If you join CRAG and do it under the CRAG name then you can use the CRAG insurance. Theres all the paperwork in place for this sort of project. Theres a few members of CRAG on now as well :) .

The first thing it to find out if its a BOAT or UCR(ORPA) as BOATS are the ROW office and UCR(ORPA)s are Highways. Looking at the pics you would only need about 25T of stone. I will PM a phone number or send me one and we can talk.

Paul

Already joined CRAG back in September. I'll give you a call. thanks for the PM

Steve