Discovery one water ingress

discofred

Let me start by saying my Disco does not have sunroofs - I hate them however several company cars I've driven have had them, a Jaguar was the worst. The main problem would seem to be that the gutters get filled with dust which when wet turns to crud and this in turn blocks the (in most cases) twin drains which generally pass down the "A" columns and drain into the front wheel wells.

The easy fix is open the sun roofs, get up on a step ladder, first clean out the sunroof gutters and once this is done and with a small diameter hose (1/4") push it gently down the drain hoses and flush them out - on the Jag I used my gearbox oil pump connected to a small hose. Once the drains are clear you can check if water drains away freely by using a garden watering can to fill the sun roof gutter with clean water, once done make this an annual "service task" .

If this doesn't fix it and the drain hoses are perished I'd guess it would be a case of removing the head lining to replace the drain lines.

Cant remember where I saw the doc your on about. However I did the sunroofs on my 300 a few months back. As I remember this is how.

1, remove 'A' post , 'B' post and rear 'D' post and safari window trims.

2. Remove sun visors followed by the overhead cubby and sunroof winders.

3. Remove the two interior lights and any grab handles that screw through the headlining. (There are plastic shims behind these)

4. remove any dog guards and the headlining panel should just drop down. Remove through the rear door.

This will now expose the two sunroof surrounds and their respective drain tubes. 1 per side. (These tubes are the common culprit or rather their fitting to the surround)

5. pull off the tubes, unscrew the surrounds. you will see from the inside of the surround loads of dry sealant where the drain tube passes through. You need to remove all of this, clean up the area and re seal either with silicone sealer or maybe roofing sealer.

6. While you have the surrounds off you may as well remove the sunroof itself and re seal its seat on the car roof. Mine is manual sunroofs and I dont recall the mechanism causing a problem.

When using the sealer, dont be shy with it, just make sure it adheres well.

Once all is dry, replace everything.

I cant remember any problems apart from part of the headlining material had come away from the moolded roof panel, I just used a contact adhesive to re glue before reinstalling.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Iv

Thanks Guys. I have sealed the sunroofs permanently shut, and sealed the channels surrounding them, including the seal from the surround to the roof.................no leaks from there any more.

BUT...............I have discovered the real problem, as many of you have too, no doubt.........The alpine light seals.

I have spent today sealing all around these, and time will tell if I am successful. The metal inside and directly under the alpine light is really rotten........must have been leaking all its life..... onwards and upwards, we WILL fix this problem.