Rumble/knock on 110 300tdi. Advice please

Hello, I'm new here and have a developing issue with my (new to me) 110 300tdi defender.

I have recorded a video today to save me trying to describe a sound, if possible I'd like some advice on what it may be.

Linky:

The rumble/dry/knock sound can be heard above 20mph , more prominent on over - run. Seems to be road speed related. Not engine or gearbox. I have tried driving in low range and I think I can hear the noise still, but engine is quite loud so it's difficult to hear, in low range there is a buzzing/high pitched noise at 15mph+

I have checked oil levels in transfer box and both final drive/diffs. I have checked and greased both props. The rear prop has some play in the sliding joint, the rear uj spider appears to be a maintenance free type with no grease nipple. However, the uj appears to have no appreciable movement.

Has anyone else had a similar noise from their transfer box/props/final drives? Any advice greatly appreciated.

I'm not entirely sure just from the sound however it may/could well be the timing cover fan shaft bearing, if this is worn and the bearing loose it can be replaced, expensive but not as much as having to buy a new cover as LR no not supply replacement bearings and shafts.

Remove the serpentine belt and see if there is any play on the fan.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm going to drop the front prop off tomorrow and go for a drive with the diff lock on to see if it's the front prop, then vice versa with the rear prop, if the noise still exists. I'll let you know how I get on.

Yep that's way to do it. Ujs can be properly looked at too! I had similar noises on my disco td5 front prop seemed ok on car when I removed it the problem was apparent! The uj was ceased in one direction, anyhow hope it's an easy fix for ya. Nowt worse than chasing noises !

Ok, so I dropped the front prop off during my lunch break at work. Uj's feel fine, nice and smooth with no slop, sliding joint feels ok too.

Drove the landy back home and the noise seems to be worse now. It also really emphasises the bang when I take up drive. Think it's the 'A' frame ball joint - another job..

I'll put the front prop back on tomorrow and hopefully take the rear prop off, if there's time. I'll let you know what the result of that is..

Many months ago while driving around a sharp bend I heard a very loud bang, seeming to come from the rear, and I too suspected the "A" frame differential ball joint however the car continued to drive okay and after inspection I found the ball joint to be okay.

After much investigation the trouble came down the demise of the brass shims in the centre differential. The only way I found this was by the amount of play in the front prop-shaft, so you could look at that.

After much investigation the trouble came down the demise of the brass shims in the centre differential. The only way I found this was by the amount of play in the front prop-shaft, so you could look at that.

Thanks for the suggestion, what play/evidence did you see from the front prop shaft? Could I drop the rear prop off and put the car in gear, so spin the transfer box and listen for any noises before refitting the front prop? It wouldn't do any damage to the transfer box, operating it with no shafts connected, would it?.

Ok so that's front prop eliminated! Cool, like you say get rear off next to eliminate that then go from there.

Oh and driving with one prop off is always a lot noiser on take up, in fact can sound horrendous but normal!! Just pull away slowly and nice slow controlled gear changes.

Right, front prop is back on, rear off and just driven home. Noise is still there, but quieter now. So I guess that means it's the lt230 transfer box. Also, rear prop is worn out, a uj cup is spinning in the coupling, under the circlip and the sliding joint is worn.

I've taken it easy on acceleration / deceleration and gear changes, i'm not getting that massive thump from the back now, with no rear shaft, I guess that means it's the 'A' frame ball joint?

So my next questions are: how hard is it to overhaul a lt230?

Is a Brit part rear prop ok?