ZF4hp22 question.

skauldy

It looks like normal gunk off the auto clutches - grey gooey sticky crud. This stuff is what messes up the centrifugal governor if it gets caught in it. From the look of it the oil and filter have not had a regular change. Run the car for another 1000 miles and give it another oil and filter change, it should be all flushed out by then, from there on change your oil and filter every 20,000 miles max.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, no, you wont need to re-build the box. Just run it for the 1000 miles, then change the oil and filter again to ensure tat you have flushed out as much of the clutch crud as possible and from then every 20,000 miles.

Keep an eye on the ATF fluid level, check it as often as you would the engine oil dipstick. To do this run the engine and gear box , park brake on, run the engine for a few minutes to ensure that auto gearbox pump is flowing the ATF through the oil cooler and then pop it through all the gears then leave it in neutral and then check the ATF level on the dip-stick, do not overfill !

I think it is easy to get a misleading reading on the dip stick because the oil tends to stay in the tube clinging to the surfaces if the stick is in place. I take the dip stick out before I start, and leave it out until I am ready to dip the level. This seems to make sure the oil clears from the tube properly and I get a true reading..

If the output shaft splines are worn then the problem is that the input gear in the transfer box hasn't been cross drilled to improve lubrication. There are several threads on the site to tell you how to do it. It's pointless replacing the output shaft if the input gear in the transfer box isn't cross drilled, it will only wear down again.